Saturday, December 31, 2011

Nayada

Friday, December 30, 2011

Last dinner of 2011. This restaurant used to be the Tantalizing Thai in Long Beach but new ownership. This was my first time back since the takeover. CJ wanted to try a few new dishes so 6 of us gathered together tonight. Nice to see Clyde & Libby again.

The new menu is written on shiny black paper. Difficult to read under dim lights. So I did not get the "official Thai" names for the dishes. Just let CJ do the ordering.

Started out with 3 appetizers. Lettuce wraps with some kind of chicken/rice noodle mixture, Vegetable rolls and Shrimp wrapped  in noodles then fried. We have had this dish before but I can't remember the official name. But they are good.

A new dish - Soft Shell crab with Curry Sauce. I am not a big fan of curry but I really liked this sauce.. I would order this dish again.

Crying Tiger Steak - this was ok but not the same as the previous owners. This dish I would not order again. I felt the strips of beef were extremely small and with that you loose flavor.

Hot Braised Pork - spicy. CJ ordered it mild but it still had too much bite to pair well with wine. This is a beer dish.

A dish of Pineapple Rice appeared. Wish this had come at the beginning of the meal with the plain white rice which I do not eat. I do like the pineapple rice because of all the add ins. Better flavor. I grew up on potatoes not white rice so I have never been able to get into it. The only time I can recall having white rice was in Rice Pudding. As I got older and since we were in California sometimes it would show up on the table but only if there was some kind of meat and gravy to pour over it. My family never ate plain white rice.

No bubblies were brought tonight. I thought CJ would bring one so I opted for a Chardonnay. He forgot to put his in his bag.

2001 Stolpman Angeli , Santa Ynez (Syrah) - in its prime - fantastic wine
2005 Sea Smoke Botella, Sta Rita Hills,  Pinot Noir ( beautiful after opening up)
2006 Huber, Sta Rita Hills, Pinot Noir - showing very well
2008 Quivera Elusion, Blend, (Grenache, Syrah, Mouvedre & Petit Syrah)
2008 Toulouse, Anderson Valley, Gerwuztraminer
2008 Center Of Effort, Edna Valley, Chardonnay (went well with all the appetizers)
2007 Bridlewood, English Pleasure, Santa Ynez, Syrah

Good dinner tonight. Small table which I like, makes for better conversation. Very foggy driving home . Fog will probably be around for the weekend. Glad I am not a New Years Eve person. Would not want to be out in it with all the drunks who can't see anyway. Add fog to the scenario and its a disaster

No comments: