Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Brunch

Sunday, December 4, 2011

I hosted my annual Christmas Brunch today. About 30 people attended. We lost 5 people at the last minute due to illness and other reasons. But picked up 2 that didn't rsvp until the day before.

I did my usual menu, ham, sausages & peppers, green chile egg & cheese casserole and a gouda cheese & artichoke egg casserole.  A lot of great appetizers and desserts were brought to load the table with food.  Along with bottles of wine.  I put out the "inexpensive" bubbly to make mimosa's etc. Anyone that wants something better brings it themselves.

I did out out a magnum of Chardonnay that I got at a silent auction. Gave it to William and Patte to take home afterwards as it was so oaky I could not handle it. They like oak so they took home the opened bottle. Also put out a "box" wine. A blend of four red varietals that I picked up at Chateau Margene in Paso Robles. Frankly it tasted better at the winery . But I did find after a week sitting on my counter the taste had changed quite a bit. There really should have been no change because it is sealed with no possibility of air getting in.  But it did change.

Came down with a nasty head cold just before Thanksgiving so it took it's toll on me. Had to have help from my sons decorating this year. Between the cold and "old age" I found it increasing difficult to get up and down the ladder to decorate. I keep thinking it may be that I should give up doing so much but then I don't want to be bored with life. Or maybe I should just have the knee replacement and get it over with. I am waiting for them to perfect the recovery time.

No comments: