Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Highlands Wine Tasting

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Seven of us invited tonight for a private tasting of Highlands wines, www.highlandswinery.com, .

This is a small production winery in Napa with a total case production of 1,500 cases. Their website gives a detailed story on how the winery started and the people involved. Interesting reading.   Winery began in 2001.

We had 5 wines available to taste. Started with  a  2013 Merlot, Cofrin (?) vineyards.  14.2% alcohol. Good Merlot and I am not a Merlot fan. This I would drink.

Two Zinfandel's were next. Both I liked but the 2012 was a bit softer than the 2013 probably because of the year difference but there was a big difference in the fruit also. The 13 was 14.9% and the 12 was 15 %. The 12 had a bit more pepper and spice on the palate.We all agreed that the 2012 was the bottle of choice. Interesting that they use "Burgundian Yeast" in these wines. 18 months in new and used French Oak barrels. 

A 2009 Laird Vineyard Cabernet and a 2007 Laird Vineyard Cabernet were up next.  Nice balance, good dark fruits, hints of chocolate and mint. The 2009 was the winner in this pair.

I will probably order a few Zinfandel's. I did like them that much.  Merlot is not a favorite, If someone buys it I will drink it but not purchase myself. The cabs are to me overpriced because I am not a cab drinker. I would pay that for a Pinot.

Good tasting, good nibblies and good people to share it with.

 

No comments: