Thursday, September 29, 2016

Chianina and Blackbird Wines

Wednesday, September 28, 2916

Joined friends last night for a wine dinner at Chianina, www.chianina.com,  in Naples.  Wines were provided by Blackbird Vineyards,  www.blackbirdvineyards.com,  .  Sold out dinner tonight. Instead of 6 PM to 9 PM  for reservations they opened it to 5 PM to 10 PM..

Noticed as I drove in the valet parking has gone from $4 to $6. Wonder if it was just for tonight. I pulled in right behind the owner, Michael Dene. I asked the attendant how Michael keeps the very shining grill of his Bentley so clean and sparkling.  Found out that the grill on that very expensive Bentley is PLASTIC. Who would have thought.

We started out with a Tuna Arriveste, ahi, toasted brioche and squash. We were not too sure where the squash was or how to eat this little stack of items. Some decided to pick it up with their fingers like a sandwich and I tried the fork method. Not sure which one was the best idea. Flavors were excellent and it went well with the 2015 Arriviste Rose.

First course was a Branzino Dissonance,  branzino, beets, brown butter. burgundy and spinach. Fish was very good, nice crispy skin. The beets were red and gold and cut in small cubes and laid out like a checkerboard. Nice presentation. But I was not thrilled with the wine. A 2015 Dissonance Sauvignon Blanc.  Too New Zealand like for me. Decent pairing but I passed most of my wine to others.

Second course gave us Duck Arise, sliced duck, cooked perfectly, polenta two ways, roasted fennel, pomegranate sauce and mushrooms.. At this point into the dinner I was starting to fill. Ate two of their salted honey rolls with marscapone butter. I think that did me in but they were so good. Had two bites of the duck and had it boxed to go. A 2013 Arise (merlot, cab and cab franc) was poured.  This wine to me was way to young. Needed time. Passed it along also to others.

The Third course consisted of Chianina Beef Rib Contrarian.  Sliced rib eye beef,  lobster cigar, potato puree and truffle froth.. Beef was good, Again I had two bites and had the staff add it to my take out box, After all there is dessert coming.  Wine paired was a 2013 Contrarian (cab, cab franc and merlot) My favorite wine of the evening. I have had this wine before and liked it way back when. 

A Cherry Tart (deconstructed)  with taleggio gelato (good) and rosemary meringue was the dessert. I did manage to make room for this dish.  A 2013 Illustration  (merlot, cab franc and cab)   was paired. It was ok but it again needed time. 

A good dinner. Michael Polenske the owner of Blackbird was in attendance. Went around to each table a chatted awhile. One of my dining companion's  was planning a trip up to the area  next month so he got a personal invite. Wines were on the whole good but way to young to be drank now. Need to cellar. Price range was about $135 for the reds. 

No comments: