Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Fuego is Margie's September Dinner Locale

Saturday, September 10, 2016

11 of us tonight at Fuego  at the Maya Hotel on  the bay in Long Beach.  Beautiful night, perfect weather for dinning al'fresco. 

We had several choices an on the first course I took the Fuego salad which was very good.  It consisted of baby greens, chili dusted pecans (good), goat cheese, heirloom tomatoes, cilantro (boo), fuji apples and a creamy chipolte dressing.  Other choice was Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup. Everyone raved about the soup. I knew if I had ordered the soup that I would not be able to eat anything else. 

Main course I choose the Quinoa which was made with Sauteed Garlic Spinach (looked more like Kale to me) woodland mushrooms, summer squash (tasted more like butternut or acorn) corn relish and broiled paneer cheese (which I took for Tofu). Good flavors and not heavy.
 
Other main choices were Chicken, Flank Steak Rioja and Salmon. All I have had before.

Dessert I choose the Kahlua Chocolate Cake with Expresso powder and Nutella Ganache, Decadent.  I may have been better off with the Coconut Flan but chocolate beckons me.

Wines were interesting. Several I think were too big and over powering for the food we were having .

I brought a 2010 Sinor-LaValle, Aubaine Vineyard Pinot Noir and was quite happy with it. A 2010 Huber Pinot Noir was the hit.  I did try and like a 2015 Juilette La Sangliere Rose,  NC Cava, a Lando Russian River Pinot Noir and a 2014 Siete Fincas, Mendoza, Argentina, Torrentes.

Even though we were having "South American" food  I think the Malbecs  and Sangiovese were not compatible with the menu. I tried a couple other of the wines but they were not to my taste and one of them was way over the hill - it was a dumper.

Another good dinner arranged by Margie for us.  It takes a lot of work and coordination  to do these dinners.  I for one appreciate the effort it takes.  Unless you have done something similar you have no idea what it takes.





No comments: