Sunday, February 7, 2016

Bistro st. Germain

Saturday, February 6, 2015

Bistro St. Germain in Seal Beach was Margie's choice for the February dinner.www.bistostgermain.com.  Parking is always a problem here so I have a tendency to try and arrive early enough to drive around several times looking for a space. Tonight was no different as downtown Seal Beach was packed. Fortunately I found a space right next to the restaurant.

 13 of us tonight and a pre-set menu. Choice of 4 appetizers - I picked the Onion Soup. Have had it here many times and it is good. Not salty like so many others and just the right amount of cheese.

For the main dish I choose the Steak Frites with the Bordelaise Sauce, Steak was very thin but had very good flavor and was tender.  Glad I ordered it rare because it came out medium.  Sauce was excellent but I do not think the fries were "Frites".  Frites are twice cooked and these did not seem to be. They also very very thin and small. Maybe thin steak is a French thing. I have never been to France except to change planes at DeGaulle airport

Dessert for me was  Mousse au Chocolat - Good flavor, chocolaty and smooth. Just the right amount for after dinner.

 Our time slot was 5:00 to 8:00 because on Saturday nights they are packed and need every table. I left at 8:10.  One 3 hours was more than enough time and the noise level was getting unbearable. Several people in the group are always extremely loud and the decibel level rises as the evening wears on.

Interesting collection of wines. Champagne was first bottle emptied and the the bottle I brought was the next dead solider. I brought at 2007 Sinor-LaValle, Anniversary Cuvee, Pinot Noir. It always boosts my ego when I bring a good wine.

2013 Pedrocelli, Dry Rose of Zinfandel - did not taste - did not even see it until several hours into the dinner.

2013 Two Vintners, Grenache Blanc - I had a small pour -decent - I have had worse but I also have had better

2012 Halter Ranch, Cotes de Paso -  did not taste

NV Nicolas Feuillate Brut Reserve Champagne - always good

2013 Louis Jadot - Pouilly-Fruisse - this is what a chardonnay is supposed to taste like

2012 Domaine Cherrier et fils, Sancerre - very good

2010 Chateau Carraud, Lalande de Pomerol, Bordeau - did not taste

2012 Alaine, Burgundy - did not taste

2014 Francois Chidaine "Les Argiles" Vouvary - nice wine

20143 Halter Ranch, Viognier - did not taste - not into Viognier

2012 Tablas Creek, Cotes de Tablas - did not taste

2009 Chateau Franc Grace Dieu, Bordeaux - nice wine , took awhile to open up

2013 Domaine Chenevieres, Chablis - good

No comments: