Friday, February 12, 2016

Ken Brown Wines at Arte Cafe

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Someone told me about this dinner so I looked up Ken Brown's web site and information about the dinner was on there.  I called and made a reservation 3 weeks ago. I kept expecting to get a e-mail from Arte Cafe  www.artecamellia.com,   regarding the menu and pricing. It never came.  I had 7 people at my table and besides Ken Brown and two wine reps, there were only 5 other people in attendance. I just could not understand why except that it was not advertised by Arte Cafe. This dinner should have been sold out and the restaurant packed. Ken Brown said he had a very hard time getting Richard to get him a menu and reservation count so he knew how much wine to bring.

The printed menu on the table was pink with hearts on it and said a "Pre Valentine Day Wine Dinner". In all the e-mails I have received from Arte Cafe in the last few weeks only the "Chinese New Years dinner and the Valentine's Day dinner were being promoted. 

 First dish was  Uni Pasta with Bay Scallops.  Good dish, scallops were very tender and cooked perfectly. I had a really hard time  finding  the Uni. At the very bottom of the plate in the sauce I saw two tiny Uni eggs.  Wine was a 2013 Ken Brown, Happy Canyon Sauvignon Blanc. A very good sau blanc for California. and a good pairing.

Second course served was a Heart Shaped Lobster Ravioli with Truffle Oil and Leeks. Dish had good flavor although I could not really see "heart shaped". Thankfully the truffle oil was not over done. Very light.  A 2015 Ken Brown, Vin Gris was the wine pick. Again a nice pairing.

Third course was to me a big disappointment. Exotic Mixed Greens with Mexican White Shrimp in a Whole Grain Mustard and Silton Blue Cheese sauce. The shrimp had good flavor but were slightly under cooked. I did not think the mustard and cheese complimented anything. I ate the shrimp only. The pairing was also not good.  2013 Ken Brown, Rita 's Crown, Pinot Noir. Wine was very good, a little too young but it did not pair with this dish at all. I liked the wine well enough to buy 4 bottles to put down.

Main course was a Moscovy Duck Breast with Dried Apricots, Black Eyed Beans in a Pinot Noir Reduction. This dish was good. Full of flavors but the wine was a 2013 Ken Brown, Santa Barbara County Syrah and it did not go well with the duck. The Pinot would have been a much better choice.

Dessert was a Heart Shaped Chocolate Mousse with strawberries. Beautiful presentation and nice dessert.

Had a good time. Ken Brown is very personable. In town for a few weeks doing lots of dinners and promotions. He was a gracious host in spite of the problems.

Arte Cafe has good food but management and service is lacking. Always has been the problem there.

No comments: