Sunday, January 31, 2016

January Meeting of The Wino's

New year - off to Santa Monica for the first of the years tastings. Light rain when I left, got very heavy about 15 miles down the freeway and then by time I got to LAX it was sunny and clear. The winds were the real problem. Buffeted the car and trash flying all over. 41 miles to gallon going up and 39 coming back. Light traffic and low speeds because of the weather.

Because of the weather Stan had everyone up to his casa above the garages in.lieu of on the lawn. Made it nice for everyone top sit around the table. Unless you have been invited for a special dinner or special wine event Stan's house is off limits. Lots a steep stairs.

A small group today because of various reasons and some just plain phony excuses. Theme today was California Sparkling's and California Red Bordeaux Blends. A lot of appetizers, Host made tri tip and chicken thighs.. Not one dessert was brought. But we had lots of really good food. Cindy brought a savory cheesecake that she made. It was really good. Someone brought spring rolls with 3 sauces. Glad I ate them early because later in the day I saw someone triple dip into the sauces. Took a roll, dipped it, ate a bite, dipped into the next sauce and took a bite and then dipped it the third time into a sauce and finished it off. Could not bring myself to eat another one.

Some very good wines today. A sparkling was the first emptied and then the wine I brought, 2009 Flora Springs, Trilogy was next to be emptied. Always boost's  my ego when my wines are one of the first to become a dead solider.

A couple of wines besides mine that really stood out to me  was the 2009 Alpha Omega II and the 2001 Rosenthal "Meritage"

No comments: