Monday, July 13, 2015

July's Gathering of The Wino Flock

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Today's theme was very generic, Washington State Wines. A few stood out but to me but most tasted the same. Perhaps it was the weather. At least 10 degrees hotter than it was at my house and no breeze until later in the day. It was not my best day and the heavy red wines did me in.

The host did a smoked pork loin roast which was very good. Three people, including me brought a version of corn casserole. Who would have thought. I did not eat any of the appetizers that were brought. Cannot do that and eat dinner anymore. I know there was pizza, ribs and wings but to me that is dinner.

There were a couple of green salads which I did not take any. I just cannot do green  salad with wine. I don't care how good and healthy it is. When I drink wine or beer with dinner I want the food and wine to go well together. Once I can remember a dinner  at Capone's  where the wine was specifically paired to a green salad. But that is not the norm.  I guess it is me - I enjoy the taste of the beverage and food together. I look forward to it. But any wine with any food doesn't do it for me as it seems to be the norm for others.  I could go out on the limb and irritate some people by saying  " I dine, they eat".

Stan brought 3 older wines and all were good. A 1995 White Riesling Ice Wine, 1994 Columbia Valley, Cabernet and a 1997 Leonetti Cabernet. I do remember those wines. The others not so much.
 There also was a Domaine St.Michelle Sparkling Brut was was good and I brought a Poets Leap Riesling that I thought was quite good.

So that ends another month - looking forward to August as the theme is quite interesting

No comments: