Thursday, July 9, 2015

Hump Day at India Grill

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

It was time to go back to the India Grill, www.ocindiagrill.com. CJ took the liberty of pre-selecting the menu and it was all of our standards. Would have liked to try something new. But the food was good as usual.

Started out with Samosa's which are light and flaky, not greasy like a lot of Indian restaurants. Then on to Chicken Tikka. Meat was moist and tender.  Platters of Lamb Tikka was next. I really like lamb but to me the meat looked over cooked and dry so I passed on it. Several people mentioned that it was not very tender. If meat is not moist and pink on the inside I will not eat it. I can't handle dry meat. It seems to stick in my throat. I consider it a waste.

Bowls of Vegetable Korma, Chicken Tikka Masala, Shrimp Saag and Matter Paneer, rice and garlic naan rounded out the meal. As always the Vegetable Korma was  good.  The Matter Paneer, cheese and peas in a masala sauce,  was good if that is your thing.  I personally could have passed on this dish.  There was a lot of leftover food. I did take a container home with me of the leftover rice with the vegetable korma and the chicken tikka masala. I just cannot eat as heavy anymore and also the level of spice in the food was a turn off for me.

I did have a small bowl of Pistachio ice cream, It helped soothe my stomach. CJ ordered the  food "medium" . We always get it mild but it slipped his mind I assume. I feel with wine we don't need the heat that the spices give. Ruins your palate. Heat goes with beer.

Wines were very good tonight. Tried most of them but I did miss a couple.

2009 Huber, Barrel Select, Sta. Rita Hills, Pinot Noir - one of my favorites of the night, well balanced, complex, showing good nuances

2012 Baker and Brain, (yes BRAIN) , Paragon Vineyard, Gruner Veltliner - went well with the food

NV Robert Moncuit, Grand Cru, Brut Champagne - always good, my house champagne

2007 McKeon-Phillips, Leonardo - took time to open up but when it did it showed well - felt the wine would have gone better with a different type of food

2006 Kistler, Sonoma Coast, Bodega Highlands Vineyard, Pinot Noir - nice wine but I was slightly disappointed in it - somehow expected more from it - maybe it was age but an o6 is not that old

2014 Sonoma Coast, Rose of Pinot Noir - a bit sweet for me

2010 Argyle, Vintage Brut sparkling - very nice wine, enjoyed this one, clean and crisp

2008 Ken Brown, Cargasacchi Vineyards, Pinot Noir - another wine I was slightly disappointed in - expected a bit more out of it, but then 08 was not the best year in the Lompoc area

2013 Friuli Aguileia, Sauvignon Blanc - did not taste this wine - personally Sau Blancs do not go well with Indian food

2005 Dutton Goldfield, McDougall Vineyard, Pinot Noir - unfortunately I did not taste this wine - meant to but who knows why not - I have had Dutton Goldfield before and have always liked them - I probably missed out on something good

No comments: