Sunday, July 12, 2015

Fun, Food at the Factory

Saturday, July 11, 2015

This was "Margie's monthly wine activity" excursion.  There was a beer tasting before the dinner but I opted out of that.  Do not like mixing my alcohol and I do not need any food before dinner. I got there at 5:15, dinner was scheduled for 5:30, and I was the last one seated. Almost felt like I was running late.

We started out with an Avocado and Citrus Taco, segmented oranges, avocado, chipotle,  aioli, sofrito sauce, shaved cabbage, cilantro and six-pepper salsa. Also had a bowl of a fresh tomato soup. The soup was excellent. The taco had good flavor and a bite to it. Left lingering heat in my mouth.  It was messy to eat so I deconstructed  mine and ate with a fork.  The taco did go well with the Rieslings that were brought but it definitely is a beer dish.

Entree was a Grilled Peads and Barnett Heritage Pork Grilled Bratwurst, orzo pasta, fresh cream corn with herbs and asparagus.  The brat was nice and meaty. You could tell it was "homemade", no fillers and had great flavor. The cream corn was excellent. big difference when it is made fresh. Altogether this dish was very good.

Dessert was a take on a popsicle. Fresh strawberrys mashed into greek yogurt and frozen. Coated with candided walnuts and Ghiradelli chocolate. Good flavors and a nice, light, refreshing way to end the meal.

A very mixed bag of wines were brought. The menu was not for red wine, at least not big reds. I drank the whites with the meal and tasted the reds afterwards.

2012 Wolff Family, Edna Valley, Dry Riesling - went well with the food, slightly dry

NV Rosenblum, Danielle Chocolate Port - excellent wine with the "popsicle" - I bought this wine at least 15 years ago

2007 Brander, Santa Ynez, Bouchet - I thought the best red on the table, complex, soft mouth feel, a very well rounded wine

2013 Tabalas Creek, Dianthus Rose - did not taste - tasted this a few months ago and I know it did not get any better - way too sweet, almost a cotton candy, over sweetness to it

2012 Benzinger Family, Sonoma, Pinot Noir - another wine I did not taste - did not know it was on the table until the very end when I had stopped drinking - I have had Benzinger wines before and have liked them - one of the first sustainable wineries in California

NV Perrier-Jouet, Grand Brut, Champagne - nice, clean- always a good choice

2009 Clos Pepe, Sta Rita Hills, Barrel Fermented, Chardonnay - did not taste as I have had this wine numerous times and have several bottles in my cellar - not a good choice for the taco - may have gone with the brat and creamed corn but this is a slightly oaky wine that needs "fat" to balance it out

20087 Saxon Brown, Parmelee Hill Camp Black, Sonoma Coast, Syrah - tasted this after dinner - showed like a cool weather syrah - light, no pepper, no spice - this wine did not go with the food

2013 Standing Stone, Finger Lakes, Lake Seneca, New York, Riesling - nice wine - went well with the food

2009 Von Hovel, Schrazhofberg, Mosel, Germany, Spatlese - Riesling - very petrol on the nose, light sweetness to the taste - another wine that was good with the food

2010 Wiens, Domestique, Temecula, Red Blend - good flavors, nice balance - not the best choice with the menu but a nice drinking wine

No comments: