Friday, September 12, 2014

July's Wino's Gathering

Sunday, July 27, 2014

At dinner last night Margie pointed out to me that I did not comment of her wine event in July. Somehow I just plain forget all about it.  So this will probably be a short post because after 6 weeks my memory fades. In fact after 6 minutes it starts to fade. I hate to think how I will be if and when I stop working. Working full time at my advanced age does keep my brain active and keeps me around younger people which I like. I go to happy hour on Wednesday with a group and they are all retired.  Sometimes I am so bored with their chatter and medications, health problems. dietary problems etc.,

So I do remember that the theme was South African Wines, Reds, Whites or Sparklings.  There were a couple of Graham Beck sparklings which were quite good. There are a good buy for the money.Total wines brought were 20 and it was a mixed bag. Only 4 Pinotages which was surprising. I brought a 2008 Tamboerskloof, Steelbosch, Syrah. I liked it. But at this point I can't remember what other wines I liked besides the sparklings and a 2011 Spier 21, Gables, Chenin Blanc.

The hosts decided on a belated 4th of July theme and had hamburgers and hot dogs on the menu. Paul went around and took your order. 1/3 lb or 1/2 pound. Rare, medium or well. Cheese ? which kind. Bun ? toasted or not. That is a lot of work. Felt like a restaurant. Of course all the condiments were there also along with a large array of side dishes. I filled up on appetizers so when dinner came around I opted just for a burger.

The weather was miserable. We were outdoors in a very nice shaded patio area but the humidity was not kind to us. I just cannot eat or drink alcohol in hot, miserable weather. Maybe I should move to Florida and then I could lose some weight

No comments: