Sunday, September 7, 2014

August's Gathering of The Winos

Sunday, August 30, 2014

Hot day and time for our yearly August Zinfandel tasting. Don't ask why, the host seems to delight in heavy, overly extracted Zinfandels on the hottest day. Fortunately in the past few years he has added Roses, sparkling and Champagne's to the mix.

And he did make a good crock pot dish of either beef or pork - frankly I could not tell the difference. It looked like pork but tasted like beef.  Probably the sauce it was in. Whatever - it was still better than the over cooked, dry, inedible brisket that has been done the past few years. I like my meats rare to medium but I just cannot handle cremated meats. No flavor, and its hard to gag them down they are so dry. To each their own, I fill up on appetizers so I don't have to eat some of these main dishes people put forth. Guess I am just picky and bitchy.

I tasted the bubblies and the Rose's. Only had a couple of Zinfandels. The Rombauer, Chateau Montelena and the Williams Selyem. They were all good.

A breeze finally came up and cooled the temperatures down a little. Made it a decent day after all.

I will not be at next months tasting. Conflicts with my trip to Washington. This will be only the second time in 14 years I have missed our monthly group tastings. Couldn't get the host to get me a date in a timely manner so I booked my trip and took a chance. Turned out to be the conflict. I wish people would realize that the more in advance a date is announced the better it is for every one's schedule. It's not just about their schedule. There are 20 some odd other people involved.

No comments: