Friday, September 12, 2014

Back to the Seafood Place.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

We decided to get Marc out of the house for an evening. It's been about a month since Edie passed away and Marc is very depressed now. Maybe a dinner out with friends may help just a little. We can hope.

Margie is in attendance tonight so there won't be much seafood ordered or anything exotic. Probably good food, but safe  dishes and to me boring.

Started out with a Salt and  Pepper Calamari. Always a good dish here. And this is the only seafood dish of the night so I really enjoyed it.

With 7 of us Henry ordered the Peking duck. Tonight it seemed to be better than usual.  It was good because not much was left of the platter.

A sweet, sour, spicy, soup was served. We have this quite often and it always has good flavor.

Stir fried chicken with Chinese broccoli. A staple in restaurants but we have not had this dish for a long time. Since we usually go heavy on the seafood the chicken dishes get shoved aside. It was good but its chicken.

Henry opted  for stir fried bok choy with beef. Beef was excellent and I am a sucker for bok choy. But again this is another "staple"dish. served with fat noodles, Another item I am a sucker for. So maybe this dish was a little bit more than a "staple"

Dessert was fresh oranges which were very good tonight.

A nice selection  of wines were brought. But somewhere in the evening a bottle that still had quite a bit of wine in it seemed to disappear from the table. I can only assume the the "owner" wanted to take it back home with them. Yes there was a lot of wine on  the table but somehow that seems to me an attitude of "drink every ones wine so I can take mine home" because I am a cheap sob. Like Henry said - "no more invites for this person"

2007 Sinor-LaValle, Talley-Ricon, Pinot Noir - opened up after a while and was  good. Complex with a lot going on.

2009 McKeon-Phillips BPR Cabernet Sauvignon . Drinking exceptionally well right now. All of us have a seeming endless supply of BPR.  Mine goes back to 2003.

2010 Sea Smoke, Southing. Pinot Noir. Fruity but lacked character. Also young. needs a few years.

2010 Hartford, Far Coast, Chardonnay. Too oaky for me so I have no more comments.

2006 Tobin James,   Cabernet Franc. Big, fruit wine , seemed a little alcoholic.

2010 Williams Selyem, Limestone Ridge at Vista Verde Vineyard, Chenin Blanc.  Excellent wine. Nice and crisp, just a touch of acidity. My favorite of the night.

Another chardonnay was on the table. It neglected to write it down so I am not sure of the year. I think it may have been a 2010 or 2011, Lot 21. Also too oaky for me


No comments: