Sunday, September 7, 2014

Chez Lomita Expo

Saturday. September 6, 2014

This party was set up as a mini cellar cleaning. The host had a magnum and double magnum of wine he wanted to share with a larger group. It was a mix of "wine" people and "non-wine" people. Otherwise a group that knew what they were drinking and a group that was asking for "Chardonnay". or "white wine". Nice people but no clue. Limited wine experience. Some were interested in learning and others just wanted to drink. But that is what life is made up with. Makes for non-boring parties.

The front patio area and the area in back around the pool was set up with tables, chairs, food, games, trivia., etc. Something for every one. Along with chips, crackers, cheeses, dips, nuts etc., the host made Tri-tip, Grilled Salmon and Ahi sliders. Along with accompaniments. 

Later in the evening we were treated to a "magic" show. Two friends to the host are members of the Magic Castle and entertained us with tricks. A nice ending to a great day.

The two show cased wines were the 2000 Williams Selyem, Vista Verde, Pinot Noir, # 3 of 4, Double Magnum, signed by the winemaker and the 2005 Ponti, Holiday Reserve, Temecula, Zinfandel, Magnum. I will say both wines were exceptionally good. I am not a big fan of Temecula wines (most grapes are sourced from other places than Temecula) but I give thumbs up to this Zinfandel.

Other notable wines was a 1982 Opus One, just slightly over the hill, still had lots of fruit, good color. 2000 St Innocent, Seven Springs Vineyard, Pinot Noir and a 2006 Beaulieu Vineyards, Geoges La Tour, Private Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon. 1997 Chateau du Tetre Marguax and a 2009 Chateau Dauzac Marguax.

One of my favorites of the evening was a 2010 Robert Biale, Black Chicken, Zinfandel. Needed a few more years of aging but I have always liked this wine.

In all there are 30 wines on the list. Something for everyone. The reds out numbered the whites 3 to 1. So a good time was had by all.  But my luck on the road that day was something else. Going to the event the main street was blocked at the freeway so we had to get on the freeway, go a mile,  get off and detour to get to the street I wanted to be on. Leaving the event the main street was blocked about a half mile down by police so we had to back track and take an alternate route. Fortunately I was in an area I am really familiar with so I knew the shortcuts. And along with that,  the chair I was sitting in at dinner collapsed and I ended up on the floor of the patio. Someone spilled a large glass of red wine and I got splattered with the wine. Sure hope it comes out of my blouse. But at least it wasn't a boring day.

No comments: