Saturday, February 11, 2012

The New Duong Son

Wednesday, February 8, 2011

Henry decided he wanted a few of us to try the new "Duong Son" restaurant. They have a new name "Golden Star" - to me it sounds like a Chinese fast food place. The new restaurant is about 1/2 mile beyond the old one.

When you walk in they still have the big case with all the duck and pork hanging. The take out is a big part of their business.

Evan, Henrys wife joined us tonight for the big occasion.

We started off with Salt & Pepper Calamari. Frankly I was disappointed. It did not seem to be the same as the old place and it was not up to the quality of the Seafood Palace. I felt the breading was a little heavy and the Calamari was slightly tough.

The waiter brought us a plate "Roast Pork" (on the house) It was very good. The skin was very crisp and no fat all all. Very tender and good flavor,

Another pork dish came out. Barbequed style, sliced very thin and a great sauce on it. Not too much sauce, just a light coating. I would order this dish again.

"Special Chicken" appeared. Roasted chicken, very tender, with a Maple/Seasame glaze. The sauce was excellent.

Cora had requested "Garlic Prawns" but Mr. Do said he could not find really nice ones so we had garlic shrimp instead. Good, but I really missed the bigger, meatier prawns.

Soup was "White Fungi".  Very flavorful broth.

Chinese Broccoli with Beef and Sea bass with Green Beans were the next two items. Somehow I felt the green beans were not as good as the "old place". But the Sea Bass was excellent as was the beef.

Last dish was the Tofu with vegetables and sauce. I did not even have a bite of this dish. I was so full from everything else.

Dessert was Asian Pears and Oranges. A nice light palate cleanser.

Nice to try the new establishment. I would not give up the Seafood Palace just yet. They have some outstanding dishes and I think that the new Golden Star still has a few kinks. Henry will be busy for the next month with his son's wedding but sometime in March we will go back and test "Golden Star" again.

CJ & I agreed that for some reason we felt the old "Doung Son" food was better. It is strange because it is the same owner, same chef, etc., so you would assume that everything would be the same.
Also the chef worked at the Seafood Palace while waiting for the new place to open. That is why I was surprised that the Salt & Pepper Calamari was not the same.

CJ brought a very good Champagne which he and I drank most of it. It also paired very well with the Sea bass.

NV Coutier, Grand Cru, Amboey, Champagne
1990 Domaine dala Font, Vouvray  ( a little too sweet for me, I let Terry & Cora take it home with them)
2000 Seavy, Napa, Cabernet Sauvignon
2002 McKeon Phillips BP, Santa Maria, Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Alto Vina, Evodia, Granacha, Spain (never got opened)
2009 Fendan, Chasselas, Switzerland
2004 Clos Pepe, Sta Rita Hills, Pinot Noir (drinking nice - should not be held too much longer)

No comments: