Sunday, February 26, 2012

Delius Prix Fixe

Friday, February 24, 2012

11 of us went to Delius tonight for the last "Beef Wellington" Prix Fixe dinner that will be served. Louise is handing over the duties of the Prix Fixe Room to Chef Dan and she will concentrate on the catering end of the business. That is how she originally started in the food industry. Dan has a completely different take on cooking than Louise has.. Excellent but different.

I looked at the wine book while waiting ro be seated. Sometimes on these Prix Fixe dinners I am not over enthusiastic about the choices. So I wanted to have a back up if I didn't like what's was being served.

We started out with a glass of Valdo Prosecco and an appetizer plate of  beef wrapped asparagus, quiche and hummus with pita points,

Next plate was a red & gold beet sliced thin with  warm goat cheese and a baby arugula salad. The wine that was on the list was a 2007 Taft Street Pinot Noir. I knew I would not like this pairing at all. I choose a Fritz Riesling which paired excellent with the dish. The Riesling also went well with the next dish.

Third course was a grilled salmon with a wasabi cream sauce. Excellent sauce. This was paired with a Hans Wirshing Rose. Good pairing and also the Riesling went well with this dish.

Main course was the Beef Wellington with creamed potato, asparagus and caramelized carrot. Louise makes her own pate to line the beef with. Paired with a 2009 Argiano Rosso Super Tuscan. Good pairing but not perfect. Altho I did pick wine out as an alternate.I don't laways have a successful pairing when I pick the wine.

Next a cheese plate with fruit.

Dessert was a trio - Marscapone Cake with whipped cream an Port Cherries, two cookies and a small panna cotta.

Another excellent dinner at Delius.

No comments: