Saturday, July 30, 2011

Single Malt Scotch Tasting

Thursday, July 28, 2011

I have drank Scotch for years and have always preferred single malt over blended without really knowing the difference. I just never got into the research of Scotch like I did wine.

ABC Fine Wines & Spirits in Long Beach hosted at Balvenie tasting tonight. The right time to go and learn.

What I did learn is the Scotch is made with three ingredients, Barley, water and yeast. Blended Scotch is made with whiskeys from several different sources. A single malt is made at a single source (Scotch House). They do not bring in any outside Scotch to blend with their own. I also assumed (and we know what assuming can be) that since it said single malt it had something to do with the grains.

I just pray that I keep liking Scotch but not become fascinated with it. At $100 and up for good single malt I could be in trouble. Granted you do not drink a bottle in a couple of days like you do wine. The bottle would probably last you months. At least that what I am trying to convey to my brain.

The casks/barrells that Scotch is aged in come "used bourbon" from the US and Europe. We tasted Scotch that had been aged in Maderia casks and  Sherry casks. It was interesting to taste how the whiskey takes on a slight flavor from these casks. We also tasted one that was Peat smoked.  The peat from the bogs is set on fire and since it  is dense it smokes instead of burns. They do that with the sprouting grain to impart that peaty flavor to it. It did not show up on the nose but it was very predominant on the palate.

We tasted (I think, it was dark I could not read what was put in front of me - ABC really needs better lighting)   The Balvenie, 12 Year Old Doublewood, 15 Year Old Single Barrell, 21 Year Old PortWood and the Peated Cask. Prices for a bottle ranged from $60 to $200.

They gave each of us a eye dropper to added a drop or two of distilled water to the scotch. I did try it and it seems to really take the heat away. Just 2 small drops changed the taste completely. We came away the glasses, dropper, pens. I always like a few freebie's .

So now I will have to do some research and learn more about this whiskey and hope I do not get to addicted to it

We could have second tastes if we wanted. But being my own designated driver I deferred. Do not need a DUI for any reason at all.

No comments: