Saturday, July 2, 2011

Mid Week Wine Tastings

Normally I do not post about the wine tastings I do on a regular basis but I have done two in the past weeks that were exceptional.

On Tuesday, June 21, 2011 I stopped at Wine Country before going to The Factory for dinner. They had a special German Riesling tasting that night. Two winemakers from Germany were showcasing their wines. all were very good and the exceptional one was a 1985 Auslese. It had such depth to it. I can see why people can get hooked on older Rieslings.

On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 I went to ABC Liquor & Fine Wines in Long Beach. This place is a block off the beach and just at the beginning of Belmont Shore.  Theu were tasting Dragonnette wines. I have tasted these wines a few weeks back at the Santa Barbara future's tasting at the Wine House in Los Angeles. Small winery. Sources most of their grapes from other vineyards.  I was very impressed. So much so I paid $160 for 3 bottles. Their Fiddlestix Pinot was outstanding. Had a very chocolate, black cherry thing going on.  The other was "MJM" a blend of 4 varietals. Both of these wines will cellar nicely for a few years.

I will definitely have to check on Dragonnette at the "Wine & Fire" event in August.

No comments: