Sunday, July 17, 2011

Annual Bus Trip to Wine Country

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Our annual bus trip with Delius Restaurant started out about 8:00. An hour earlier than in the past. Since we were going to the Wine Ghetto in Lompoc they wanted to get on the road early. Instead of having a "Champagne Breakfast" in the restaurant before departure we were served breakfast on board. They did have pastries and coffee inside the restaurant for early arrivals.  Fresh fruit cups, mimosa's bubbly, breakfast burritos were served on the bus. Concept was good but execution did not work out well. The bus was a rougher ride than normal. You had to balance your drink cups along with your food.  They ran out of bubbly right away. I got one glass. I know they had coffee but I did not see anyone at the front of the bus getting any. The breakfast burritos were good but it was impossible to add the salsa to them and hold your cup and burrito at the same time.  Louise said that doing the breakfast this way was far more work for her than serving it in the restaurant. Perhaps this will  be a one time event.

We arrived at the Ghetto a few minutes early. Most of the tasting rooms open at 11:00. Our first stop was Flying Goat Cellars. Norm Yost the owner and winemaker gave us a short description of the Sta Rita Hills wine area. We tasted, bought and then were free to wander the Ghetto. We had tickets for no charge tastings at Ampeolos, Palmini. La Vie, Loring and Samsara. I made it to Ampelos, Loring, Samsura and La Vie. I get free tastings at Palmini & Loring both of which I will be at in August.   La Vie I was very disappointed in. I did stop into the Taste of Sta Rita Hills to pick up a case of wine I had ordered from Clos Pepe. I also bought some Moretti Bianchetto. Very good white wine with an attractive price. Antonio Moretti makes very good, true to the variety Italian wines.  The tasting room also features several different wineries.

Evening Land was recommended to me but I did not get a chance to get to it. I will do that in August.

I felt we needed another hour at the Ghetto.  But at 1:30 we left to go to Foley for lunch and a tasting. The setting was nice. Foleys wines are overpriced for what they are. After that we headed to Cold Heaven & Prodigal. By this time I was wines out so I wasn't too keen on these wines. Maybe another time with a fresher palate I may feel different.

All in all a decent day. But I prefer breakfast in the restaurant.  I felt rushed on this trip for some reason. I hope next year they break the mold for lunch and so something different. Its been the same sandwiches and salads for the last 5 or 6 years now.  One year they had lunch catered at one of the wineries. An off site company came in and did a barbecue with tri tip and chicken with all the sides, It was great. It would be nice to have that again.

Traffic was good the way up and back. No slow downs. Perfect for traveling.  Weather cooperated. A good day.

No comments: