Saturday, September 5, 2009

Jason/Stephens Wine Dinner

Friday, August 28, 2009

Delius Restaurant hosted a wine dinner this evening. I was unfamiliar with the winery being featured but I am always on the look out for something new. Jason/Stephens Winery is located in the Santa Clara area.

There were 5 of us singles seated at the rep's table. There are certain advantages to being single when dining at Delius (or Sage).

I was glad to see bread back on the table instead of those crispy rolls that flaked all over when you tore them apart. Now if I could just get them to bring back the shallot bread instead of the rosemary infused bread I would really be happy.

Appetizer was "Veal Sweetbreads with Braised Celery and Celery Root Puree". This was a very good combination and it was served with a "2007 Dorch Vineyard Chardonnay". Excellent pairing.

Second course was "Pan Roasted Duck Breast with Tomato Goat Cheese Tart". I'm glad they brought back the sliced duck breast instead of a hunk of meat. Better presentation and it seems like the duck is cooked to perfection this way. The Tomato Tart had good flavor but with all bread type pieces it got a little soggy and then became a little tough to eat. Fortunately it was small so if you have a "big" mouth like I am, you can discretely shove it into your mouth in one piece. The wine served with this dish was a "2006 Santa Clara Merlot". The wine was ok but I am not a big Merlot dinker so I may be a little biased. It did pair nicely with the food.

Next up was the best dish of the evening and maybe one of the best I have ever had. "Braised Oxtail Ravioli with Smoked Tomato Broth and Baby Vegetables". The raviloi had plenty of meat and was large. The broth was to die for. It was so good. That smoked flavor was subtle yet right in front of your nose. I was so happy that I could have ended the meal with that dish. It was paired with a "2006 Santa Clara Syrah". Excellent pairing.

Main course was "Hazelnut-Cherry Crusted Lamb Chops with Carmelized Onion-Polenta Cake and Mustard Greens". I had a 4 rib chop. I should have boxed it to go but I was a little piggish tonight and ate everything. The mustard greens were cooked correctly and the polenta cake was perfect. This was served with a "2006 Santa Clara Cabernet Sauvignon". Good pairing. Not a Napa Cab but a very food friendly wine.

All the wines seemed to pair well with the food. Sometimes you are surprised at how well a wine will pair when you think because of the taste you had before food was just ok.

Dessert was a "Lemon Custard Tart with Chambord Ice Cream and Raspberry Gelee". Just the right size to top the meal off.

Delius has a new chef de cuisine and it is very apparent he is making a statement. Between Louise and Daniel the food has really been brought up a few more notches. And I always thought it was excellent before. Delius is my benchmark for comparisons on dinners and food.

No comments: