Saturday, September 26, 2009

Private Tasting

Friday, September 25, 2009



Went to friends house this evening for a private "higher end" tasting. Since I just got back from vacation this afternoon it slipped my mind completely to take notes on what we would be drinking tonight. (remembered the next day) Everyone was to bring a "higher" end wine. I do remember 2 Cing Cepages, different years, a Saxum Bone Rock Syrah. I brought a Lucia Gary's Vineyard Syrah. 11 wines all together. We used the 1-1/2 ounce pourer's for the first pours and discussed the wine. After that the bottles were lined up on the bar in the house. We had a great dinner (everyone brought a dish). Since we were seated outside I did not get up to get some more wine until midway through eating. By then some of the most popular wines were gone so some of us did not get a second taste.



My take on this is, that the bottles should have been on the table for easy access. I somehow felt a little cheated that I only got a 1-1/2 ounce pour of some wines and others took much, much larger pours. They liked, so they drank it profusely. Yes I know I could have gotten up and gone into the house (while eating) to get more but somehow this is not setting right with me. I guess I'm getting more bitchy in my old age. I also felt that 12 people were to many. 8 should have been the max for this type of tasting.

The idea was great but needed to de defined more.

No comments: