Saturday, September 26, 2009

Peirano Wine Tasting

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Delius Restaurant hosted a wine tasting this evening. I had never heard of this winery (there are lots of them that I have not heard of). They have been in the Lodi area for over a hundred years. 1,000 acres but with 500 planted in grape vines. 8 wines were tasted. All estate grown. "Peirano.com"

2007 Chardonnay - see's french oak - a clean wine
2007 Viognier - not overly floral
2006 The Other White - Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc & Viognier. You really get the Viognier at the back palate.
2006 Malbec - not your Argentinian Malbec - more European in structure
2006 Melot - 6 clones - for a Merlot a nice wine
2006 Petit Syrah - nice and inky
2004 Barbera - sure beats Orv's Barbera
2007 The Other Red - Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah - the Merlot softens the Cab and the Syrah is predominate on the back palate.

I was very surprised at how nice these wines were and at the price point of $14 each that was a bargain. I really liked the "The Other Red" and the Barbera. I bought several bottles of these. They will be showing up for Monday Night Football.

As always the appetizers that were passed were very good. Ceviche in little spoons. Poke on thin chips, Lamb on toasted baguette pieces, some little mushroom doodad, some kind of pork , mushroom soup shooters, a pumpkin souffle thing on top of a cake round and small dishes of the Russian Cream.

I did not take notes so everything is from memory. And after 8 very good pours of wine I don't think I did too bad.

No comments: