Saturday, September 26, 2009

Vacation Time

Friday, September 11, 2009:

After getting a late start ( had new tires put on the car) I finally got on the road to Paso Robles about 11:45. This got me caught up in heavy traffic from Torrance through Los Angeles and into Camarillo. After that it cleared up.

First pit stop was at Huber Cellars in the Sta Rita Hills area near Lompoc. Traudle had left for a doctor's appointment so Norman and I tasted his new releases and a few old ones. His new 2008 Dornfelder Port was at 21% but was absolutely outstanding. Luckily I had some dark chocolate with me so we had a few sips for port and a few bites of chocolate. I had plan on stopping at a few more places on the way but since I was 2 hours off schedule I said goodbye and continued up the road towards Avila Beach.

Made a quick stop at Trader Joes in Arroyo Grande then on the Avila Beach where I was staying. I had originally planned on checking in and then heading over to the Sycamore for their Friday night wine tasting. The Sycamore was so crowded there were no parking spaces available so back to my accommodations to plan my "attack" on the wineries in Paso Robles on Saturday.

Spent Saturday, Sunday, Monday in Paso Robles. Tuesday doing the Foxen Canyon Trail, Wednesday, The Edna Valley and Thursday (which was really hot) back down to Santa Ynez .

The amount of new wineries is over whelming. I do not see how they are all going to make it. Something is going to have to give. I was told by one of the winemakers that I knew that there were a lot of negotiation's going on and some wineries would be going under soon.

The big highlight of this trip was getting a private tasting at Sinor-LaValle. Tasted 3 Pinots and a Syrah. Mike Sinor was very accommodating. I had not called ahead because I felt with harvest going on it was not the best time. But when I was in the Edna Valley I called him to see what the availability was. He had already harvested and was at the warehouse. Told me to come right on over. I have bought wines from them for several years but had not tasted them yet. I got on their allocation list after reading an article about up and coming winemakers several years ago. Kosta Browne was listed also and I did get on their allocation list at that time. Two winners.

I did go to a few old favorites but kept most of the tasting to new wineries. Austin Hope now has a tasting area in his barrel room. Worth the stop. Among the others that I stopped at were, Caparone, Chateau Margene, Falcon Nest, Four Vines, Kenneth Volk, Lone Madrone, Maloy O"Neill, Pear Valley, Penman Springs, Red Soles, Stanger, Tolosa, Wolff, Zin Alley, Vina Robles, Cambria, River Bench, Rancho Sisquoc, Foxen, Tres Hermanas, Rusak and Stolpman.

I did not hit the wineries as heavy as I have done in the past. I did not seem to have the urge to get there as they opening. Most of the time I waited until 10:30 to leave my accommodations before heading out. I think the time of year had something to do with my attitude. I usually go to Paso Robles late fall. End of October into November. After the harvest and crush and the "madness" is over. Also more people were out and about and it felt more hectic.

Next year ? I'm contemplating on going back to Sonoma. The 9 hour drive is a big detriment. Maybe I will fly and rent a car, then send the wines I buy back through a dealer. I do have a few months to think about it.

No comments: