Saturday, February 28, 2009

Grand Tasting - Paso Robles

Thursday, February 26, 2009

This event was held at the Marconi Automotive Museum in Tustin. I was not aware that this place existed but will have to go back and take a look another time.

The event was held around the collection of race cars that the museum has. It made a really nice venue. 44 wineries from the Paso Robles area were represented. I came across a few new ones that I will have to check out when I am up in the area in September.

One was J. Dusi Wines. This is the famous Dusi vineyards that sell grapes to many winemakers but do not want to make wine themselves. Along comes Janell Dusi, a cute little thing, who decides she wants to make wine. She only bottles a zinfandel but I found the wine clean and not overpowering. She may be on to something. No tasting room but keep an eye out for her wine in the wine stores.

Another new one was Stanger Vineyards. I plan on checking them out in September. They made a nice Viognier and a Tempranillo.

Roxo Port Cellars showed 3 different port style wines. Interesting combinations of grapes.

I only got to about half of the tables but I did have more than enough to taste. I did have to drive home.

They had a few food stations set up. Deborah's Room at Justin Winery was serving an abalone soup. It was to die for. The abalone shells they had sitting on the table were about one sixth the size of the abalone that I had in the 1960's. Of course these are all farmed raised abalone. Not much left in the wild anymore and what is there is protected. Abalone are extremely slow growers so it does not take much to wipe them out if they are harvested by divers.

Artisan Restaurant was serving strips of flank steak on potato rounds. Very good.

Paso Robles Inn & Steakhouse was serving a halibut ceviche which paired excellent with the Derby Fifteen 10, a blend of viognier/roussanne/marsanne.

Villa Creek Restaurant was serving a short rib from the Hearst Ranch.

This was a first for this event and I hope they continue to be a tradition. I was impressed with the food, wines and the venue.


No comments: