Sunday, September 21, 2008

Yearly Vist to Dunarea Restaurant

Saturday, September 13, 2008

The monthly "Wine & Dine" group converged on "Dunarea Restaurant" in Anaheim tonight. This is a Romanian restaurant and is very popular with the ex-patriates. This was smaller group than normal, just 14 of us.

We started out with 5 appetizers. All of which are very good.

"Salata De Vinete" Roasted eggplant dip with onions.
"Delta" Caviar dip with olives and lemon. (my favorite)
"Shrimp Sole" sauteed shrimp.
"Cold Cut Plate" Salami, ham, kashkaval, feta cheese, olives, tomatoes and bell peppers.
Cornmeal (polenta) with feta cheese and sour cream.

Entrees included.
"Sarmale In Foi De Varza" stuffed cabbage rolls filled with ground pork and beef. Excellent dish.

"Dunarea Salad" tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, egg & feta cheese with a Romanian dressing. I always pass this up because it comes so late in the meal (European custom) that I cannot handle the clash of flavors as by now I am on to red wine. Others enjoy it so it is a personal preference.

"Chicken Paprika" grilled chicken breast with dumplings and hot paprika sauce, served with sour cream.

"Grlled Salmon", grilled with spices, garlic and lemon.

We had many wines but I did not keep track of them. Of those that I liked, there was a 1999 bourgone, a Melville Pinot and I brought a 2000 Clos de Verges, Billard Gonnet Pommard Pemier Cru bourgone which I think had several more good years in it. Someone poured me a white burgundy which was nice and there was a "bubbly" which was good. Other than those I did not taste any of the other wines, except one that was a Cabernet and there was something wrong with the bottle.



No comments: