Sunday, September 21, 2008

Italian Wine Dinner at Utopia

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

4 of us dined this evening at Utopia, http://www.utopiarestaurant.net/, . The theme was Italian wines and the importer, Ciro Crillo was there. I will say Utopia gives you decent pours of wine and will give seconds if you request it. This is nice compared to some places where you get about a 2 ounce pour and they look at you strangely if you ask for a second pour. Utopia always sets out a basket of fresh, hot rolls which are very good. But they never seem to put enough butter with it.

First course was "Insalata di Riso" Italian risotto, Kalamata olives, garlic, pepperoncini, capers and tomatoes. I found this dish unusual and very good. It had the right amount of seasoning and paired excellent with a 2007 Terra Di Pra' Col Reale from Veneto. A blend of Cortese & Garganega. I really liked this wine and did buy 4 bottles.

Next was a "Pettine con fetaccini" Grilled scallops in a bed of light Alfredo fettuccine pasta. This was one of the best Alfredo sauces I have ever had. I'm not sure why but it was beyond excellent. The pasta was cooked just right. This dish was paired with a 2006 Collesanta Pinot Grigio from Veneto. The wine was good but not the same caliber as the first wine served.

Main course was "Linguine Del Mar" Linguine pasta with mussels, sea scallops, garlic, red bell pepper in a light pomodoro sauce. This dish was excellent. I did not care for the pairing of wine. A Lume Sangiovese Livio Innocenti Montalcino, Tuscany. Frankly I thought the wine was thin.

Dessert was "Espresso Amore", Italian gelato with raspberry sorbet. Served with a 2003 Agripeccioli Aureus Traminer Ice wine from Tuscany. Both were good on their own but I am not a sweet with sweet drinker. I would have preferred a savory or cheese item with the ice wine.

At $ 50 plus tax and tip this was excellent buy. Portions are small but filling and I was not hungry afterwards like I have been at another local restaurant which gets twice the price and I feel like I need to go through a fast food drive in to finish the meal. Needless to say I do not go back to that establishment.

Next up in October at Utopia is a Chilean Wine dinner. Looking forward to that one.


No comments: