Monday, September 1, 2008

Winemaker Dinner at Utopia

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

These posting may be out of order as the computer has been down and I am behind. Somehow I missed this one.

There were 4 of us at dinner tonight. Utopia, www.utopiarestaurant.et, is a small restaurant in downtown Long Beach . There prices are reasonable and the food is good.

Tonight the wines were from the Sonoma area.

Appetizer was "Cheese Ravioli & Grilled Portabello mushrooms with sun-dried tomato cream sauce. Good flavor. Paired with 2007 F. Scherrer Rose.

Salad was Celery, cucumber, fresh thyme, shallot, sun-dried cranberry and roasted walnut in a lemon olive oil dressing. A different salad but the flavors went well together. Served with a 2006 Mutt Lynch Chardonnay.

Main dish was grilled lamb chops with fresh tarragon, garlic wine sauce, served with grilled asparagus and grilled tomatoes. I asked for my lamb chops to be medium rare which they did accommodate me. I find that their lamb here is a little to overdone for my taste. The dish was good and it was served with a 2004 Fieldstone Cabernet Sauvignon.

Dessert was a homemade dark chocolate tiramisu which was excellent. I;m also a big dark chocolate fan so its hard to screw this dessert up. They served it with a 2006 Homefire Cellars Zinfandel. A good pairing. Zinfandels, Cabernets and Merlots seem to pair well with chocolate.

No comments: