Saturday, May 13, 2023

Dinner at Dan Modern Chinese

 Friday, May 12, 2023

Dan Modern apparently is a chain of Chinese soup dumpling restaurants. The one we went to at 2nd & PCH in Long Beach is to me on the "sterile" side. No ambiance at all. Noisy because of all the hard surfaces and floor to ceiling glass windows.  Have no idea what the other restaurants in the chain are like, but probably very similar. And I found not disabled friendly.  They meet the minimal requirements.  I found it very tight to maneuver my walker between the tables.  They really pack the people in. High turnover of patrons. But the food is good. At least to look at.  I had the Oxtail Noodle Soup which was a bit bland which I had to have right now and a bit oily which I did not need.  But the majority of the dishes were heavy with garlic or onion which are on my taboo list at the moment. The food that my dining companions ate looked very good and they said it was. I was a bit envious. 

Sauteed Green Beans with Garlic. Beautiful color on the beans and they did look crunchy not overly soft which is a good thing.

Beef Roll which was beef and what looked like spinach rolled in a dough and fried,

Noodles with Short Rib. Looked like Soba noodles and everyone said it was really good.

Pan Fried Shrimp and Pork Dumplings. I think that maybe this was the least favorite of all the dishes. No one seemed too excited about them. They looked a bit oily. 

Two orders of Soup Dumplings were served along with lots a finely julienned ginger. 

Wish I could have indulged. Perhaps another time.

CJ brought a bottle to share. I had none at the restaurant but did get a pour at home. A 2008 Sea Smoke, One Barrel, Pinot Noir. It was an excellent wine.

Service was good and accommodating. But all the dishes had come out way before I got my soup. Will probably go back at some time in the future when I can enjoy normal food again.

No comments: