Sunday, August 25, 2019

Miura & Clos Pissarra Wine Dinner at Taste

Monday, August 19, 2019

Had not to Taste in quite awhile.  I forgot how noisy this place is. Hard surfaces and no acoustics at all.www.taste-wbk.com,  But was interested in this winery so I ventured again. Wine maker / owner Emmanuel Kemiji was in attendance and I found him to be a very interesting speaker

We started out with a Corn "Risotto", sweet yellow corn, parmesan cheese and mascarpone. No rice in this dish but the flavors were very good. Corn was extra sweet and soft and the cheeses made a delicious sauce.  The wine with this dish is a 2016 Miura, Clos Pissarra, Grenache Blanc, Llum. Perfect pairing.

Second course is Pan seared scallops with a creamy tomato sauce, chorizo oil , wilted garlicky chard. Scallops are cooked perfectly. Lots of flavors going on. Paired with a 2017 Miura, McIntyre Ranch,  Santa Lucia Highlands, Pinot Noir. Another excellent pairing.  I liked this wine well enough to buy a couple of bottles.

Up next is a Lamb Bolognese, Cavatella pasta and  house made ricotta and herbs. Least favorite dish of the evening. I am not a fan of cavatelli pasta. It always has  a "gummy" taste to me. I did not think there was sufficient Bolognese sauce on the pasta. Flavors were OK buy nothing knocked my socks off.  A 2013 Clos Pissarra,  Monsant,  Aristan was the wine. A blend of 70% syrah  and 30% Grenache. A good wine that paired well with the food.
 4th course is a Plum Barbecue glazed pork loin with smoked grits and grilled okra.  Sauce was great, pork was dry. Grits were great along with the okra.  I did not finish this dish. I asked for it to boxed up to take home and it never returned to my table. Paired with a 2010 Miura, Clos Pissarra, Priorat, Clos d'Oc. Blend of 75 % cabernet sauvignon and 25% Grenache. Another good pairing.  Tonight's pairings are spot on.

Dessert is an Orange and Spice cake with roasted golden plums, pistachios and white chocolate ice cream., Interesting flavors in the cake but the highlight is the ice cream. Delicious.   The wine is a 2012 Miura, Clos Pissarra, Priorat, El Nord. Blend of Grenache and carignane. Grapes come from 70 to 80 year old vines.

I like the food at Taste and the wine pairings are usually good but the noise factor is such a big turn off. To have to yell at the person sitting next to you to be heard is not my thing. This effects how often I will dine here.


No comments: