Monday, August 12, 2019

Mama's Comfort Food

Saturday, August 10, 2019

Margie's pick for this months wine dinner is Mama's Comfort Food.  www.mamason39.com. We went to the restaurant in Los Alamitos.  I had been there once before and was not impressed.   Almost everything on the menu is fried or sauced. A couple of fresh seafood dishes but in a place like this I would be suspect on how they handled the fish.

That being said when I first walked in there were some of the dinner party already there. One person of our dinner party was cleaning the table and the chairs. First it shouldn't have had to be cleaned, secondly someone on the staff had to see her cleaning. They should have come over and finished it themselves. Part way through our dinner I saw a staff person cleaning a table with diners seated at it, when finished she threw the cleaning cloth on a table with clean items.

Needless to say I will never go back.

I had ordered the ball cut sirloin steak. I did not eat it tonight. Took it home and had it the next day It was good, not great but good. Nice flavor, very tender and cooked to rare the way I requested. Came with a medley of vegetables but way too many pieces of green bell pepper. Not my thing. I did make a mistake when I ordered the parmesan french fries in lieu of the mashed potatoes. The serving was large and I ate about one fifth of them. If I had mashed I could have taken them home. The fries had good flavor.  Dinner came with a choice of soup or salad.I opted for the soup which was a tomato bisque and was very good. But it was a bowl not a cup and that was my dinner.

The servings at Mama's are huge. I found the amount of food obscene.  Most of the diners I saw were in the age group of late 20's to 50's. This is a place for people who like fried and huge. No fine dining here.

Small group tonight, 8 of us including the cleaning lady. A mixed bag of wines since there really was no theme on food so it was pot luck on wine selection. I tasted all but the chardonnay. They were all good. Nothing spectacular but good solid wines.

2015 Stolpman, Ballard Canyon,"Carbonic" Sagiovese
NV   Maysara, Oregon, Sparkling Pinot Noir Rose
2015 Turley, Paso Robles, Ubberoth Vineyards, Zinfande'
2017 Cowhorn Spiral 36, Oregon, White Table Wine
2017 D'Alfonso-Curran, Santa Barbara County, Vermentino
2014 Addendum, Napa Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon
2017 Big Table Farm, Williamette Valley, The Wild Bee Chardonnay
NV   14 Hands, Columbia Valley, Brut Rose Sparkling
2017 Runcaris, Italy, Soave
2017 Terrasse du Sud de France








No comments: