Friday, February 24, 2017

Wine Dinner at Il Farro

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Susan and Ciro hosted another wine dinner tonight at Il Farro in Newport. www.ilfarro.com.,
 This may be a monthly event.  They have scheduled another one for March. But I have already committed to another wine dinner at that same date .

We started out with the 3 appetizers or amuse bouches - whatever strikes you. Stuffed crab mushrooms, Crostini di Polenta al Goronzola and Calzonico di Mozzarella.  By time I took my picture of them they were getting cold. But an interesting trio of bites. These were paired with a 2016 Col Reale Bianco. Very soft, plush mouth feel and definite flavor of apricot and green apple. Not my style but a nice wine for summer.

Next was the salad. Pesce di Mare in Insalata. salad with octopus, calamari, mussels, scallops and shrimp with lemon and EVOO. I did like this dish. Loads of flavors, fresh greens and a really nice light tartness to it.  The wine was a 2014 Burchino Bianco. Light, crisp, tart. Did pair well with the food.

The Primo Piatto was one of my favorites of the evening. Gnocchetti di barbnabietola ai Porcini.  Handmade beef dumplings with a procini mushroom sauce. Decadent and loads of earthy flavors. Dumplings were very tender. Paired a 2011 Burchino Rosa with it. Good pairing, earthy tones to the wine.

Next up was the Secondo Piatto - Arrostyo di maiale al Vin Santo. Pork roast medallions with a reduction sauce of  Vin Santo dessert wine, Farro and broccoli. My least like dish. I thought the pork was over cooked and a bit on the dry side. A 2008 Catellani Chianti Classico Riserva was poured. Big wine.

Dessert was a disappointment. A Cherry tarte with a caramel reduction. Found the cake was very dry and it just did not have enough sauce on it to make up for it.   The wine also was way to sweet for me. A Sangue Di Giuda.

Dining companions were a unique group of people. An architect who likes the same style that I do. A couple that have 3 homes. Newport, Mammoth and  10,000 square foot house behind gates in Rowland Heights. Interesting conversations tonight. 

A good evening. Did not buy and of the wines on the menu tonight but did strike a deal with the distributor to get a case of the Torti White Pinot Noir that I bought 4 bottles of last month. That wine was so good. Glad I could get some more at the same price.

No comments: