Monday, February 20, 2017

February Wino's Soiree

It was my turn to host the "wino's",   My theme for the day was "Wines Rated 94 to 100".  It always insures some really good wines on the table. The dollar amount is not an issue.  We had two wines from the 90's. A 96 Chateau Soucherie Cote de Layon and a 99 Opus One. The Soucherie was pleasant but nothing outstanding. The Opus was a huge disappointment. Over the hill.  Too bad the owner did not open it up 3 years ago. It was probably just at its prime. That is what happens when we save a bottle for a "special"  occasion. The occasion has come an gone numerous times and you are still waiting. My take on it now is I am the special occasion and I have no problem opening a really good wine just for myself.

A 2001 Joseph Phelps Insignia held it's own. Still had fruit, very soft tannins and good balance.

A total of 24 wines on the table. Hard to remember them all.

As  host I made the main dish. White Chicken Chili.  No tomatoes at all.  Liquid was a combination of broth, sour cream  and heavy cream,. Seemed to be well received as it was almost gone at the end of the day. 

No comments: