Sunday, October 11, 2015

Aroma's Italiano Cafe

Saturday, October 20, 2015

This was Margie's choice for her October event. A lot of Italian restaurants now seem to have ":aroma" in their names. This place was in a shopping center near the racetrack in Cypress.  www.aromaitalianocafe.com,   Margie had checked out this place before with a few others and she was really up on the food.  11 of us tonight for dinner. We  were seated at one long table and then another small table for 3. Since I was the last one there that is where I sat with Kelly and Dimitry. So there was a disconnect in the seating, It was like 2 separate dinner parties. Apparently Kelly asked to have the tables split so she wouldn't have to crawl over people to get out of the back.

Food was served. We had pre-ordered what we wanted from a selection. We had one of the hottest weekends of the year so my selections were based on that factor. I took the Antipasto Della Casa which was prosciutto wrapped canteloupe. Those who had ordered that were served and then about the time we were finished with that dish the salad was served. And the salad was served to everyone

My main course selection, we had choice of salmon, canelloni or steak.  I chose the salmon, which said "Grilled Salmon and Prawns ". Came out it was two very small pieces of salmon about 1" by 1" and two medium shrimp on a skewer with loads of onions and peppers. Nothing on the menu said  "kabob". I never order kabobs anyplace. I am not a fan of them in any way. The potatoes and vegetable's on the plate were decent. Not great but just as good as most places.  Kelly took one look at her salmon plate and sent it back and replaced it with a steak.

I did not see any cannelloni so I cannot comment of that dish but the rib eye steak was another thing. It was very thin but apparently was good. I prefer a smaller steak but thicker so I know I am tasting meat.

Dessert was a choice of tiramisu or cannoli. I choose the tiramisu. It had been frozen so I doubt if the restaurant made it. It said "homemade" but did not indicate whose home. It did not say "housemade". It was ok but I have had much better.

Because I had been vocal about my main dish the chef/owner, Umberto came out to speak with me. I voiced my displeasure in the fact "kabob" was not mentioned on the menu. I had expected a filet of salmon. He seemed not to be overly concerned with the difference in terminology. He also had an attitude. Reminded me of the dickhead at Park Ave Grill. To top it off I misread the charge slip and did not see the tip was included. The lighting was not good but it was my fault for not catching it. So I tipped on top of that. But then no one at the table said, "be careful the tip is included". If I see that I always tell everyone because it is easy to not catch it. It was my fault but I think someone should have made a mention of that fact.

Needless to say I will not be coming back. Within a mile or so of this place is Franco's and I will go there in a heartbeat. This dinner was dis-jointed. Did not flow well. Seating sucked.

Wines were a mixed lot. A lot of reds. I passed on most. Too hot to drink reds. I become a wasteland in the heat. I brought a 2013 Tercero Rose of Mouvedre because I was ordering the salmon. Went well with the minuscule salmon I was served. I also brought a 2012 Huber Hafen (Dornfelder Port)

2010 Iron Horse, Russian Cuvee, Sparkling - I did not taste as I am not a fan of Iron Horse

2012 Iron Horse, Pinot Noir - again I did not taste

Stella Rose Proseco - this was good and refreshing

2013 Dusty Goose, Chardonnay - did not taste because I knew it was oaky

2010 Palmina, Alisos, (Sangio & Merlot) - I had a small taste and it was good. I have this wine at home

2012 Weins, Temecula, Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon - did not taste

NV Graham Beck,  - always a good sparkling

1999 Puelles, Gran Reserva, Rioja - this was a good wine, well balanced and very drinkable

2010 Stolpman, Santa Ynez, Sangiovese - Starting  to show well

2012 Hearthstone Estate, Paso Robles, Pearl - did not taste , I have an idea this was the white rhone everyone tried to get me to taste

2014 Calaferia, Negroamno Tocmausca - did not taste

2009 Pondera, Columbia Valley Consehsio - everyone raved about this wine, I personally did not like it.

No comments: