Friday, October 30, 2015

Antonello's & Ferrari-Carano Wine Dinner

Thursday, October 29, 2015

When I arrived in the parking lot in front of Antonellos, www.antonello.com,  I watched numerous people go into the restaurant but no one was going into the "event room" . I ventured over and the door was open so I went in. Apparently the first to arrive for the wine dinner. But then they informed me my name was not down on the list. Good thing I had my confirming e-mail with me and the names of both people I talked with in making the reservation. Seems that the first person I talked with did not relay the fact I was making a reservation for the wine dinner and they had my party down for the regular restaurant.  After some switching of seats at the various tables we were seated at the table with the Von's wine buyer and the winemaker, Sarah Quider.

Antonellos had 5 large groups in the regular restaurant tonight and that reflected in the service we were getting tonight. Good service but not the same caliber as the last dinner. The appetizers were not as abundant and it seemed that we had less staff wating on us.

Another very noticeable item was the fact they were not pouring wine as generously as before. One pour of each wine. Maybe this was because the winery did not provide as much as the last one. Sometimes that is an issue. I asked for a second glass of the Fume Blanc as I would not drink that over oaked Chardonnay they served. They did accommodate me on that one.

Food was good as usual for Antonello's.  We started out with a selection of Stuzzichini (appetizers).  A Cheese flatbread, ahi tuna and what they called fried ravioli. More like small empanadas. These were served with the 2014 Fume Blanc.

Antipasto was next - A Seafood Salad, puree of green fava beans (excellent) topped with marinated Spanish Octopus, Argentina Shrimp, Crab Claws and Lobster meat with micro greens. Also had pomegranate seeds mixed in. Good, tasty dish. Wine was a 2012 Reserve Chardonnay which I gave away and had a second glass of the Fume Blanc which went very well with the salad.

Primo - Ravioli Plin. Braised Veal Ravioli (very rich) with a light veal reduction (good) with sweet onions and Parmigiano. Again an  excellent dish.  Paired with a 2013 Anderson Valley Pinot Noir. Way to young. Needs several years.

Secondo - Lamb Shank, red wine braised Lamb Shank with Polenta seasoned with sage and rosemary and green beans. Falling off the bone tender. Very good flavor, very large. I ate a few bites and asked for the "doggie bag". I was stuffed and the Ravioli was so rich I just could not finish this dish. the wine was a 2012 "Tresor" red blend. Better than the Pinot.

Dolce - (dessert) A housemade apricot tart (butter crust) with vanilla gelato and a caramel sauce.. Rich but too much crust. 2009 "Eldorado Gold" sweet wine was paired. Way too much sweet on sweet. Both items were good but this was overkill on the "sweet". Cheese course would have made better sense.

Really not big complaints just the little things that seemed to reflect my attitude about the dinner. Lack of wait staff, scimpy on the appetizers and wine. Food was excellent as usual.  We all agreed on this. 

No comments: