Thursday, January 22, 2015

Kashiwa Sushi

Wednesday. January 21, 2015

I have driven past Kashiwa for years, ever since it opened. Never stopped in. The former owner of Kinokawa is the owner and head "sushi" roller here.

So when the LBSS posted a dinner here I jumped on it. There were 9 of of us tonight. Four including me decided to to the Omakase dinner. 12 pieces of sushi, miso soup, cucumber salad and a small serving of cooked tuna with sesame seed for $45. Saved me from trying to decide which sushi I wanted. If I am confronted with more than 2 items on a menu I have a hard time making up my mind. Everything sounds good and I want it all so it ends up being a big dramatic decision.

Can't remember all the types of fish but every piece was different. There was, salmon, salmon belly, mackerel, halibut, snapper, uni, toro, . All very good and super fresh fish. Should have kept notes. Cucumber salad was good, extremely thinned slices of cucumber with a very light vinegar oil dressing. Miso soup was standard

Everyone ordered  beer. I happen to like very cold beer and when it starts to get warm I cannot dink it anymore.  I very rarely order a beer in a restaurant. I can open one at home and keep the bottle in the freezer with the unpoured liquid and drink it at my leisure.

I ordered a half bottle of Au Bon Climat Chardonnay (only one available besides house wine) $18. Did not ask what corkage was. Will need to do that next time. I do intend to go back since I drive by the place every day coming home from work. Excellent food and service. not cheap but good sushi never is.

Kashiwa has a wide selection of Japanese food dishes. If you are not a raw fish person there is something on the menu for alternates. There was tempura ordered along with a bento box , poke salad and several other non sushi dishes. Everyone had high fives for the food.

This is close to a authentic establishment you would find in Japan. No neon lights. Small rooms for private dining while seated on the floor. Can't remember the correct name for those types of rooms. Along with a small dining area with tables and chairs and a chef's bar.

No comments: