Friday, October 24, 2014

Prix Fixe at Delius

Thursday, October 23, 2014.

Nine of us met tonight at Delius,  www.deliusrestaurant.com,  for the October Prix Fixe menu  The  which changes at the beginning of every month

Started out with a Chicken Sausage Stew, Kale and White Beans. To me it was a soup not a stew. Stews are always thicker. Very good flavor and went well with the 2013 Cade, Napa Valley, Sauvignon Blanc. The wine was not overly acidic and had a light tropical fruit taste to it. But I did have some bubbly left from earlier and I thought the bubbly went better with the dish.

Second course presented was an Autumn Squash Ravioli, Sage and Pecan Butter. This to me was the hit dish of the evening. Dough was very tender and the squash really put it out there.  Great flavor and the butter was one that you sopped up with bread. Wine served was a 2011 Fossil Point , Edna Valley, Chardonnay.  Not my style of wine as it a bit oaky but the wine did hold up to the butter sauce. I could have had several of these raviolis.

The next dish I was really disappointed in. Crispy Calamari, Spicy Arrabiata Sauce.  I found the calamari rings to be a little tough. The whole baby calamari were ok but without the sauce they would have been nothing. The breading left a lot to be desired. Not much of a flavor. I am so used  to the salt and pepper calamari at the Seafood Palace that maybe I have become spoiled with really tender calamari. The Arrabiata Sauce is spicy and that is what is supposed to be but I personally found it too spicy for me and it did not pair well with the wine. The wine was a 2008 La Maia Lina Chianti Classico which is Sangiovese. I thought the wine was weak and did not pair well with the food. This was a big miss for me. I wonder what the Stolpman Carbonic Sangiovese would have tasted like.  Had this wine with a spicy risotto and it was a good match. Also perhaps a Grenache may have worked better or a light Zinfandel. I know a Riesling would have been great with this dish. I may have been able to handle the spicy sauce if the wine would have paired better.

Main course was a Rib Eye Steak, Roasted Cauliflower and Caramelized Onions.  Tender and cooked perfectly. The onions were very good. The cauliflower added some crunch.  A very good dish. Wine was not that great. A 2010 Stepping Stone, Napa Valley, Cabernet Franc. I prefer Cab Franc over Cabernet Sauvignon but somehow this wine did nothing for me. I poured half my glass into Maria's. Someone should enjoy it. Maybe it just me as others seem to like the wine.

Dessert was a Panna Cotta, Roasted Rhubarb and Salted Peanut Tuille.  Glad to see a light dessert served. The panna cotta is always good and the rhubarb was a surprise. Went very well together. The peanut tuille was a nice crunchy addition. A good ending to the meal.

A good dinner, hits and misses and good conversation. It was an enjoyable evening.

No comments: