Friday, October 31, 2014

Hall Wine Dinner at The Watertable

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Watertable Restaurant at the Hyatt Regency in Huntington Beach hosted a wine dinner featuring Hall Wines and Walt Wines. Same owners and winemaker just two separate labels.  I was looking forward to this dinner to see if things had improved at the Watertable after last months wine dinner which I was not overly happy with. I will most always give a restaurant several chances before I write them off completely

There were five of us and a big surprise when William and Patte walked in. Apparently there was a loss of communication between William and Margie and we did not know they were coming. The staff at the Watertable were very accommodating in getting added seats to  the table for them. Also Patte is a vegetarian and they had a separate menu for her and the other "veggies".

 The  reception was basically the same as last time, Proseco flowed, the appetizer table was a little different. They had an olive tapendade and a spread that had smoked paprika in it. Also a cream cheese mixture that tasted a bit like blue cheese. It was dimmly lighted just enough that I hard a hard time reading the menu on the board. The staff puts these things together in the daylight so its easy to see. They do not take into account how it will be in the evening with  "mood" lighting. The food was good. Not so many items in olive oil so less mess. Still have to handle the bread and break off a piece. I shared my  "loaf" with Margie. At least she knew that my hands were clean, other people you never know.

We were ushered outside to  the dining area. This time were were seated at a real table. The heat lamps were on and there was no need for a sweater or jacket even though the night was cool.

Dinner started out with a Baja Rock Scallop Crudo, Passion Fruit, Chili, Watermelon Radish and Micro Arugula.  Good dish. The scallop was perfect and the dish had really niceflavors to it. Paired very nicely with a 2013 Hall Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc. This was an exceptionally nice wine. Not to over mineraly, over acidic and overly citrusy. It had a soft, full mouth feel and was easy drinking. I am not much of a Sau Blanc fan but this wine would be an exception. Dinner is starting out good.

Second course was a California Kurobuta Pork Belly, Pea Puree, Spiced Hazelnuts, Toasted Pea Marshmallow, Apricot-Apple Cider Gastrique. Again flavors were good. I would have liked the pork belly to bet a bit more crispy on top instead of seared. Not sure if that would be the right description but I like a crispy top and this wasn't. It was very tender but still had to have a knife to cut it. The Pea Marshmallow was excellent. That was a first for me and I liked it. Whimsical but very good. The pairing was with a 2012 Walt La Brisa Chardonnay. OAKY - tried a couple of sips with the fatty pork belly but the oak just pushed its way through. I gave my wine to the others that are into the oak. I had some Sau Blanc left in my glass and frankly I thought it was a better pairing. I also had a piece of Patte's squash tart. It was very good but even it didn't really hit the mark with the oak.

Third course was a Hay Smoked Aged Striploin Duo, Redwood Hill Mushrooms, Celery Root Puree. Blueberry Pinot Reduction, Brussel Sprout Puree, Potato Foam,   Crispy Shallots, Ligonberry demi. A lot of flavors on this plate. All the "sauces' were very good and added a nice dimension to the dish. I felt that the meat needed just a bit more cooking. The fat needed to be cooked just a little longer. It was too  close to raw. If you are going to serve raw sliced it paper thin. But this was an excellent dish. Loved  the flavors that all blended in together. A pair of wines was poured. 2012 Walt Blue Jay and a 2012 Walt La Brisa Pinot Noir. Both nice wines but my vote goes to the La Brisa. Softer on the palate, plush, better fruit.

Fourth course up was a Illy Coffee Scented Lamb, Pee Wee Fingerling Potatoes, Heirloom Carrots. Fall Harvest Chutney, Thyme Lamb Jus. Again another really good dish. Lamb  was cooked perfectly. The Au jus was excellent and had really good  flavors going in it.   Gave Margie a small bite (she does not eat lamb) and she liked it. Maybe we will convert her someday.  We did convert her to duck. She is quite a challenge. A 2011 Hall Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon was poured. I am not a Cab fan. This was a nice wine but I gave it the the boys and drank the Pinots with the Lamb which personally I felt was a better pairing.

Dessert was a Chocolate Cambozola Cheesecake, Walnut Crust, Port Reduction, Candied Orange Peel. This was to die for. Deep Chocolate flavor and the orange peel really added a nice contrast to the chocolate. Served with a 2006 Hall Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc. Not to sweet and a good end to the evening.

As always the service from the waitstaff as impeccable. The resort does a very good job with service. and the ambiance is so nice.  The view of the ocean is always a good sign and tonight  was a beautiful sunset also.

Since this dinner went so well I was hoping to end the evening on a high note. But unfortunately it did not. When I went to get my car from valet they dinged me for extra charges even though my ticket was validated by the restaurant. I was a little over the 4 hours allotted and they wanted $20. When I protested she brought it down to $10. The attendant said everyone was complaining about having to pay extra. Now if they can bring the charge down from $20 to why they cannot forget it completely I don't know. I know I have gone over the limit a   few times before and never got charged for it when I was doing a wine dinner, but  this was a different attendant in the booth than before. Almost makes you wonder if they were pocketing the money themselves. So a sour note to  a great evening. Very good food, good wines, great conversation with my dining companions.

I will miss the next dinner which is Silver Oak - will be out of town  -  going to Avila Beach and have a winemaker dinner scheduled the day I arrive and then the SLO Wine Festival over the weekend. A few days tasting around the Paso Robles, Edna Valley area and then heading home to do a Sequoia Grove Wine dinner at Delius the day I return.

No comments: