Saturday, July 26, 2014

Prix Fixe Dinner at Delius

Friday, July 25, 2014

Ten of us met at Delius, www.deliusrestaurant.com,  tonight for the July menu  Prix Fixe dinner. Since I had dinner at the Hobbit, www.hobbitrestaurant.com, last night I knew I would be doing a comparison.

Started out with a Sesame Crusted Seared Ahi, Seaweed Salad with Green Curry Aioli. Ahi was cooked perfectly. the Aioli was great and a really good addition to the plate and the Seaweed Salad was excellent. Having never had seaweed salad I was looking forward to the taste. A very slight brine taste, julienned. Clean flavor. Paired with a 2012 Will Estate, Napa Valley, Albarino. Nice wine but I do prefer Longoria's Albarino.

Second course was a Mexican Corn Soup with Jalapeno Dusted Tortillas. Excellent flavor. Louise does have a knack with soups and the tortillas had just a light jalapeno taste. I finished my Albarino and started on the 2012 Mourchon , France, Grenache/Syrah Rose. Drinking a lot of Rose's lately. This was nice, medium body and went very well with the flavors of the soup.

Third course is a Duck Confit Terrine, Stone Fruit Compote and Baby Arugula. Duck was good. Arugula I can take or leave. Mostly leave. The compote really added a touch to the duck and the dish paired really well with the 2010 Fiddlehead Cellars, Sta Rita Hills, Pinot Noir.

Fourth course was served , Braised Shortribs, Summer Squash, Kale and Red Onions.  Beautifully cooked meat. Wish everyone would cook shortribs with well. No knife needed. The meat just flaked apart with your fork. Excellent flavor. Paired with a 2010 Meyer, Mendocino County Syrah. Nice wine but a little light weight for a Syrah for my taste. This would considered a cool climate Syrah and I do prefer the warm climate Syrahs.

Dessert was a Farm Peach Crepes, House Made Cinnamon Ice Cream. Crepes were light and the flavor of the peaches was good. Never go wrong with ice cream.

So for less and half the price at The Hobbit last night I had an excellent dinner. Food was much better at Delius. Granted the wines at The Hobbit were high end and that is what you were paying for. As much as I enjoyed the dinner at The Hobbit, I  found myself really appreciating what Delius offers in the way of excellent food and flavors.

No comments: