Monday, July 21, 2014

Annual Bus Trip to Wine Country

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Today was Delius annual bus trip up the coast. Today's lucky wineries were Pence and Tercero.A group of 30 met at Delius. wwwdeliusrestaurant.com, for a Champagne breakfast before boarding our white chariot for the 3 hour trip. I have done 14 of the 16 bust trips that Delius had put on. The people that used to go seem to be disappearing. I only saw 6 people that had been on the trips before. But it seems like good group.

We arrived at Pence about 11:40 just a little behind schedule. First wine poured was a Rose of Pinot. Decent but I have had better. Then the group took a walk (and I have done to many vineyards tours to be thrilled with another)  up the hill to see the vineyards. I was not about the walk up that hill with my knees so I stayed behind and took a look at the dogs, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, very friendly and well behaved. Lucky dogs had a fire hydrant in their pen. Chickens roamed the area, Off the tasting room is a 3 sided area with chairs and couches. A nice pleasant place to have our lunch.

Lunch was served about 12:45. Catered box lunches with an assortment of sandwiches and salads. I found it a little difficult to put condiments on my sandwich leaning over a low coffee table. Maybe I should have gone inside.  Food was good and Pence poured a Chardonnay and 3 Pinots. I found it interesting that they were pouring a wine that was not available. How can you sell if people can't buy. I did not buy any. I did not think it was so outstanding that I had to add it to my cellar. I have hundreds of Sta Rita Hills Pinots and do not need to add to them. Plus Pence is not in the Sta Rita Hills. They are approx one half mile outside the AVA.

Running a little late we headed for Los Olivos and Terceros's tasting room. The place is small so we split up in two groups. I was in the first group. I will go back in August and get wine from Larry. It was a zoo and I was not about the shelp wine around town. The bus was parked only a few blocks away but that was a few feet more that I wanted to carry wine.

Left Tercero and went over to Stolpman to see what was knew that I did not have.  I did buy one bottle of a Carbonic Sangiovese and put six on order for August pickup. Looked like red Koolaid. Light tasting but when I opened the bottle on the bus and had it with cheese I think I found a great wine for the patio with a cheese plate in the hot summer months. Not a real serious wine but  a fun wine.

Someone on the bus had told me about the "Garlic Guy" - went off in search of his plot of land. Right across from Qupe on the main drag (2 blocks long). Mans name is Paul and he had 73 different varieties of garlic for sale. When he sells out he closes until May of the next year. He does ship and his email is "www,garlicguy.net" . Brought home about 9 different types of garlic and I am anxious to try them.

Stopped at Qupe with Sue, she told me about the garlic guy and I found her when I stopped to buy some.
Did the higher end tasting and it was well worth it. Very solid good wines.

Back to the bus and the ride home. Got back to Delius about 7:50. A good trip with no major hiccups. 

No comments: