Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pinot Days at The Shrine

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Held a "vip" ticket to this event. Gets you into a seminar hosted by 4 winemakers and early admission to the "grand" tasting before the crowd is let in. This is my 4th year attending this event. This year it was moved to the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. I had not been inside the Shrine in probably 30 years or more.. It still is a magnificent showpiece. The last three years the event was held in the Barker Hanger at the Santa Monica Airport.

Our seminar was hosted by Peter Cargasacchi, Scherrer Winery and two others that I do not recall their names over a month that I attended.

A smaller number of wineries this year. I would assume since the date was pushed from January to November that was a factor. Wineries are still harvesting and do not like to do these types of events in the middle of the harvest rush. I also found out that in addition to all the wine they have to bring for 2,000 people to taste they  have to pay $500 for a spot.  So aside from the rental of the auditorium, the help and providing a few other minor items the promoters are doing OK with this event. My "vip" ticket was $105. The general admission was $85. Times that by 2,000 people.

I did find a couple of new ones that I was impressed with. Pence Ranch in Buellton and Reuling Vineyard in Forestville. Good wines.

No comments: