Sunday, December 16, 2012

Marche Moderne & Clos Pepe

Monday, November 12, 2012

A private dinner was held at the Marche Moderne in South Coast Plaza (third level near Nordstroms) with Wes Hagen of Clos Pepe. The invite came out when I was on vacation and I did not think I was going to able to attend because it was sold out by time I got back and saw it. I did contact the host to let him know I was interested if there would be an opening for one person. Fortunately for me Wes Hagen ran interference and got me a seat.

There was 20 people attending. Five women ad 15 men.  I was seated at Wes' table along with his brother and arm candy, Wes' roommate from college, the wife of the host and a couple from Palos Verdes. Good conversation and we found out a lot of interesting details of Wes' life from his brother and roommate. It was fun.

First Course: "Salade Composee", hearts of palm, cucumber, tomatoes, asparagus, ham, P'tit Basque, avocado & vinaigrette. This was very good.

Second Course: Manila Clams Comme Dans Un Restaurant Japonais - white miso, sake, un deglace de poulet, garlic & thyme.

Third Course: Choice of Black Pepper, Blis Maple Syrup & Bourbon Roasted Long Island Duck Breast with black mission figs dressed with Saint-Agur & Marcona almond, une petite cacotte of French Flageolet. OR Shelton Farms Chicken Coq Au Vin, cremini mushrooms, cipollini onion, honey bacon and angel hair pasta. I had the duck and was very impressed by it.

Dessert: Artisan Cheese, fig jam, quince preserve, pecans & baguette.

Wines poured were the Clos Pepe Sparkling Pinot Rose, Homage to Chablis Chardonnay, barrel fermented chardonnay, 2 years of Pinot Noir and Axis Mundi Syrah.

Dinner was excellent and obviously the wines were also.

No comments: