Sunday, April 29, 2012

Italian & Delius

Friday. April 27, 2012

Dave Solzman the owner at Delius went to Italy on a "wine business tour" a few years ago. This dinner was a culmination of his adventures in Italy. Several people that were on the tour with him were present also to render their versions of Dave's stories. I was interesting and funny. Especially the story of Dave "snoring" though a lecture at one of the wineries.

Appetizer was Pizza ai Prosciutto e Funghi & Pizza Marghertia. Knowing that I would be taking food home tonight I had one piece of the  Proscuitto pizza which was tasty. The wine was a Borjo Magredo Prosecco Friuli-Grave. I did like this Prosecco and bought a few bottles.

First Course: Clam, Mussel & Tomato Stew, Burrata Crostini. Broth was excellent and the Burrata on the bread was very good also. Lots of shellfish. Paired with a 2010 Montecucco, Colle Massari Vermention "Melacce". Good pairing and a good wine, which I bought a few bottles of.

Second Course: Tepan Misto (Mache) - Battered & Fried Veggies, Parmesan Filled Rice Balls with Arrabiata. Light batter , no grease, and the rice ball was creamy. Two wines were paired and both went well with a different component of the dish. 2009 Marche, Umani Ronchi Verdicchio "Casal di Serra" and a 2009 Piemonte, Giacosa Fratelli Barbera "Bussia".

Third Course: Red Wine Risotto, Duck Confit, Mushrooms & Pecorino -   very rich dish. Glad it was a small portion. Also served with two wines. 2006 Puglia, Rivera "Il Falcone" Castel del Monte Riserva. Also a wine that I bought tonight and a 2008 Greve di Chianti, Vignamaggio Chianti Classico "Gherardino".

At this point I have reach my no return. If I eat the next course I cannot have dessert. So we all know what choice I will make.

Fourth Course: Herb Crusted Lamb Loin, Creamy Polenta & Stuffed Eggplant.  I had two small pieces of meat to try with the wine and had everything boxed up to go. A 2009 Tusacny, Grattamacco Bolgheri Rosso and a 2007 Vebeto, Michele Castellani Amarone "Calle Cristi" were served I preferred the Rosso over the Amarone.

My only comment on this particular food dish is at the last few dinners at Delius if it has been a lamb dish it has been the loin. I have not have a rack or chop on a dinner in quite awhile, It could be a cost cutting measure. Lamb chops are ridiculously priced right now. The loin has been excellent quality. The Himilayan Grille has also cut chops from their menu.

Dessert was a Home Made Biscotti (excellent) Gelato and Lemon Ricotta Cake. Very good way to end the meal. Glad I boxed the last dish to go. This was served with a 2007 Puglia, Rivera Moscato Trani Pian Tufara.

My dining companions were the wine reps. Vince I had not seen in years. He had a lot of funny stories about the trip since he was in charge of 40 or so "winos" . He knew who he was dealing with because the meeting place at LAX before boarding the plane was a bar just outside the gate.

This was a good dinner with great conversation. Sorry for the people that missed it. Looking for to the Longoria Wine dinner next month.

No comments: