Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ante's Croatian Restaurant

Saturday, April 21, 2012

A big table of 11 tonight. I have not been to Ante's in close to a year,  Tonight instead of the meal being pre-ordered we just ordered 3 appetizers and everyone could then order their own dinner from the menu.

We started of with the complimentary tray of celery, carrots, radishes and dip along with never ending baskets of bread. I passed on all of this.

Next out was numerous plates of the garlic-butter shrimp. Always put some of the butter on you plate and sop it up with a piece of bread. It is so full of garlic. Addicting. I took a half of a roll only. Otherwise I could have finished the bread basket myself with this garlic sauce.

A fried calamari sandwich was brought out. Cut into small sections so everyone could get a piece. This would be a great sandwich for lunch.

Then a plate of stuffed cabbage rolls arrived, also cut into smaller portions.

By time I finished those dishes I really had no room to order a full meal. 5 or 6 people ordered a full meal along with desserts. Where they put all this food is beyond me. Your stomach is the size of your fist and the only way it can accommodate more food is to stretch it.   I just cannot handle that. But there are a few big eaters in this group and they had no problem.

The wines tonight were rather good. The highlight being at 1976 Chateau Romer de Hayo Sauterne. I brought a NV Henriot Brut Souverain and a 2007 Huber Chardonnnay. I knew I would be eating seafood.

Rounding out the evening - 2000 Battaglini Propreitors Reserve Select Russian River Zinfandel, (excellent). 2008 Leone Doro Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, 2005 Chateau Darzac Margaux, 2009 Roessler Ceremonial Russian River Pinot Noir, 2007 Hitching Post Cargassachi Pinot Noir, 2008 Stolpman Estate Syrah, 2004 Saint Cosme Chateauneuf du Pape Syrah, 2007 Perrin &  Fils Carrianne and the last was a NV Provence port. I tasted each wine and all were excellent to good.

Good dinner. Excellent wines. Long drive home.

No comments: