Sunday, May 6, 2012

Silver Oak & Twomey Wines

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Normally I do not post about my weekly wine tastings since I usually do several but this one was interesting.

ABC in Long Beach hosts a "higher" end tasting about once a month. Tonight it was Silver Oak which turned out to be the Napa Cabernet Sauvignon and Twomey Wines. Twomey is not a second label of Silver Oak . They brought about Twomey wines to bring other varietals into the picture and to  keep Silver Oak as Cabernet Sauvignon.

I have never been a big fan of Silver Oak - nice wine but very overpriced for what it is.

Tonight we started off with a Preseco from a different distributor. Don't have the name with me but I did order some bottles of this wine. When I pick up the bottles I will edit this post and insert the name.The rep for this label I met last Saturday at the Edge of LA Wine Fest.  This Proseco to me was the better wine of the evening.

We tasted Twomey Sauvignon Blanc which was nice. Had a creamy, citrus taste and a rich mouth feel. I did like this but I have given up on Sau Blanc because  of the acid.

Next were 3 Pinots. I had several glasses with me so I had all three in front of me at the same time. Russian River, Alexander Valley and Sonoma Coast. My preference was the Alexander Valley A little leaner wine. The Russian River Pinot was heavy on the upfront fruit and the Sonoma Coast was a little stemy.

They did pour the Merlot and a blend, Both  were good. But again I find the price a tad high for what these wines are. I have bought Twomey on occasion.

The fun part was after the tasting 4 of us that were left and the 2 wine reps that were there and finished the bottles. Someone decided we should go to Michael's on Naples and off we went. The upstairs at Michael's was closed for the night but they opened it up for us. We ordered an  Italian wine that someone had recommended and some flatbread pizza.

Rounded out an enjoyable evening. Good conversation

No comments: