Saturday, October 8, 2011

Stag's Leap Wine Cellars

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

ABC Fine Wines and Spirits in Long Beach was having a Stag's Leap Wine Cellars tasting this evening.  This is the higher end "Stag's Leap". Frankly I could  never  remember which label was what unless I looked at the prices. Very confusing.   The cheaper of the two is Stags Leap Cellars, no aposthrope between the g and s in the word "stag" and it has the leaping deer. The higher end label is Stag's Leap Wine Cellars and has a standing deer. I still don't think I will remember 1 year from now.

Mike Gallo from Southern Wines was pouring. He asked if I had heard of Justin. They just took it on as a client. My comment was a nice wine but very overpriced for what is was. He looked a little taken back.  But I speak what I think. Its my personal opinion and a lot of people do not agree with me.

They poured 6 wines tonight. A sau blanc & a chardonnay were the whites,  OK  but. The 2007 Merlot was next. At $46 for tonight's pricing - not worth it.

Next came the 2007 Artemis Cab, 2008  Fay Cab and the 2008 SLV Cab. I have had all of these wines before. Nice wines , overpriced. The Artemis was lacking a back finish. I felt it was weak. The Fay Cab was a little better but at $80 it should  have been really good and it wasn't. The SLV was the best of the night but it still lacked what I expect in a $120 bottle.

My way of thinking is if you as a winery,  expect to get top dollars then produce a wine that deserves it. Don't lie on your laurels from previous years.

No comments: