Saturday, October 1, 2011

Oktoberfest at Delius

Friday. September 30, 2011

  A celebration started by King Ludwig for his upcoming marriage to some broad. Undoubtedly a "princess".  The Germans have perfected this into a mass marketing fest. Good thing to. What we we do in October if we didn't have this month long party leading up to Halloween ?

This was a last minute reservation for me. Delius had some cancellations so they sent a email out in the afternoon. In a few hours it was sold out again.

We started out with a Savory Fig & Goat Cheese Tart served with a Hofbrau Oktoberfest. A liitle bitterness to the beer but a good pairing.

Second Course was an Arugula Salad, Smoke Trout, Beer Vinaigrette and Rubarb Gelee. My trout still had fine bones in it and that did not make me happy.  But the beer did, a  Bitburger Pils. I have had this beer before and it is good.

Third Course: Veal Mushroom Stew, Polenta Cakes and Beer Focaccia. This was my favorite dish of the evening. Full of flavor and the focaccia really sopped up the gravy. A Schneider Hopfenweiss was served. Not for me. Too hoppy.

Fourth Course was a  Leg of Lamb, Mint Pesto and Heirloom Tomato Risotto. The risotto needed some more cooking time. Flavor was excellent but just slightly "al dente" for me.  Served with a Weihenstephaner Festbier. This brewery was started in the year 1040.

Dessert was a Hazelnut Tart, Beer Scented Ice Cream and Caramel. Served with a Weihenstephaner Dopplebock. Dopplebocks are always good. They can be dessert themselves.

Everyone got to take their glass home. There was a variety on the tables. I had a "Old Speckled Hen" glass which I think Dave & Fred gave to me deliberately. So I now have a new glass to add the my beer glass collection.   Different beers call for different glasses, same as wine.

No comments: