Saturday, May 22, 2010

May Gathering of The Wino's

Sunday. May 16, 2010

Today's theme was Brunello's and Barolo's. I was surprised at the number of people that showed up because of the theme. These wines are not cheap and a few of the "wino" have a hard time with a wine that costs more than $20.

I did not find that much difference in the wines for each category. All the Brunello's seemed very similar as did the Barolo's. The big difference seemed to be in the aging. Henry gave me two partially empty bottles when I left and the next day I poured out of a bottle that had been sitting open for about 24 hours. It was a 2001 La Magia Brunello di Montalcino and the difference on the taste overnight was interesting. The wine seemed more alive and much better balanced. So the moral is open these types of wines at least 24 hours ahead of time, decant, abuse them and return to the bottle just before serving.

No comments: