Sunday, February 28, 2010

February Wine & Dine

Saturday, February 20, 2010

CJ's wine and dine group met tonight at "Preveza" in Los Alamitos. I have dined there several times now and CJ has put it on list list of restaurants. There were 17 people in attendance this evening.

CJ always pre-orders the dinner. It distributes the amount we pay evenly and makes for a much simpler way. It would be a mess if everyone tries to order their own and get separate checks.

We started out with 6 appetizers. My time we were through with these most of us were getting filled up. I think 4 would have been a better number.

Traditional Hummus with Pita bread - very good hummus but portions were way too big.

Tzatziki - again very good but big portions.

Dolmades - this is a favorite of mine. Fortunately we each got one dolmades and that was plenty.

Tyropita - cheese in a puff pastry - another very good dish

Flat bread with smoked salmon - I have had this every time I go to Preveza. Excellent dish.

Special Mediterranean Pizza - this was good but I could not enjoy it as much as I should have just because of the amount of food I already had.

If they would have served much, much smaller portions of the hummus and tzatziki it would have been better. And delete the flatbread or the pizza. It was too much starch along with the pita bread. You have a tendency when you first are served to eat too much because you are hungry and appetizers seemed to be the thing to nibble on. Soon you have nibbled beyond your capacity for comfort.

The entrees were next:

Spinach Ravioli, Moussaka, Greek Style baked vegetables, lamb on a skewer and swordfish on a skewer.

The ravioli was ok, I did not care for the moussaka. I have had much better.The lamb was good. A tad too well done for me but the flavor was excellent. The swordfish was excellent. I may order that the next time I go to Preveza.

I took a 1999 Hafner Caberent which I was disappointed in. Way to light. I probably sholud have drank it a coupole of years ago. I also took a 2007 Stolpman La Coppola (white) which was good and a 2001 Stlopman Nebbioli. It was ok but again I sholud have drank a few years back.

Several people order desserts and coffee. We split a dessert 6 ways so that was a $1 per person extra and those that ordered coffee came across with another $2. So all this $4o per person and that included the corkage charge of $5 per person, tax and tip.

Luda was our waitress. She has waited on us before. Very good server with a great personality. A another good "Wine & Dine" dinner

Next month it is at a Romanian restaurant in Anaheim. I will be just back from a trip to Italy so I am now sure if I will make that dinner.

No comments: