Saturday, April 26, 2008

Malibu Wine Classic

Sunday, April 5, 2008

I had not driven to Malibu in several years. I was surprised that it only took about 1 hour to get to the Civic Center which is where this "wine & food" function was taking place. After securing a parking spot 2 blocks away we got our glasses and headed for 3 of the tables of wines that I wanted to taste before they ran out of wine. Saxum, Linne Calodo and L'Aventure. It was a smart move (sometimes I amaze myself) as these 3 wineries were the first to run out. Saxum was pouring several wines but the one that I really remember was the "Bone Rock". I was surprised to see it on the table because it is difficult to obtain. L'Adventure was pouring his Rose , which I do like because its on the dry side with beautiful hints of strawberries and his "Optimus" which is a blend. Both good choices. Linne Colodo had 5 bottles lined up. The one I really remembered was "Mortar", retails for $95. I have not gotten to the point where I will spend that kind of money for a bottle of wine. I can really appreciate the wines but that is pushing my budget button.

In all there were 62 wineries listed on the program but a few did not show up. I was surprised that there were 5 wineries from the "Malibu AVA". I had only known about Rosenthal before today. I did get to talk with several winemakers in the Paso area and I intend on dropping in on them in December when I take a "week of wine" vacation in Paso Robles. I actually stay in Avila Beach which is about 10 minutes from San Luis Obispo. It puts me close to Edna Valley and the drive into Paso Robles is only 15 to 20 minutes.

This event was fundraiser for "Childhelp". I had not been able to attend in the past years because of prior commitments and it also fairly new. This was their 5th fundraiser.

The food was ok. A couple of things stood out but on the whole it did not stand up to other fundraisers that I have done. But they did have a lot of wineries pouring that you don't see in the Los Angeles/Orange County area. I definitely will do this one again.

No comments: